Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

secrets of straightening a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: secrets of straightening a barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Most people don't realize that you can have a piece of steel perfectly strait, but when you start cutting metal it will go all over the place. EDM is not so bad, but a mill or lathe operation will change it. Nature of the beast!
gary

I have visited the barrel shops and you are right.

Most of the problems now days come from the stress relieving process or the contouring.

Barrel blanks are normally straight and the drilling has gotten better, But when the stress
relieving is not set up right that will warp the barrels and when the contouring is rushed
problems will occur.

At one barrel shop the operator was taking the excess material off in 2 cuts in order to
speed up production I had some issues in the past with barrels with run out (Not straight)
and wanted to see is I could spot the problem because I was having to turn the barrel
down to true it.

After speaking to the shop foreman I was told that this was the way they had allways done
it and I was to picky (A good possibility) but I get other barrels that are straight from other
makers.

The long and the short of it is, that I no longer buy barrels from him.

I check all barrels between centers (End to End) and measure Total indicated run out.

Start with a good barrel and the outcome will be good !!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

JECustom, Trickymissfit, rscott5028, I appreciate the great effort it took to write up these explanations. I always wondered how can we shoot straight if we don't know that the barrel is straight.
I know a lot more than I did before your assistance. However, I still have the basic question: How to straighten a barrel? A good example a friend has a barrel that is concentric on the external but has shadows within the length of the bore? JE Custom recommended that a barrel out of spec be returned. I just don't know if it is out of spec. Quandary : Ask the manufacturer to stand behind his work? or go thru the work of chambering and fitting, and acutal firing to tell the manufacturer that his product is questionable and we want it replaced with one of quality? My diplomacy is not the best but the manufacturer is the responsible party at this point. We cannot afford to reinvent the straighting process. Please advise.

Thanks for all your help so far. Have a great Holiday.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21buck View Post
JECustom, Trickymissfit, rscott5028, I appreciate the great effort it took to write up these explanations. I always wondered how can we shoot straight if we don't know that the barrel is straight.
I know a lot more than I did before your assistance. However, I still have the basic question: How to straighten a barrel? A good example a friend has a barrel that is concentric on the external but has shadows within the length of the bore? JE Custom recommended that a barrel out of spec be returned. I just don't know if it is out of spec. Quandary : Ask the manufacturer to stand behind his work? or go thru the work of chambering and fitting, and acutal firing to tell the manufacturer that his product is questionable and we want it replaced with one of quality? My diplomacy is not the best but the manufacturer is the responsible party at this point. We cannot afford to reinvent the straighting process. Please advise.

I've seen some pretty ugly barrels shipped in the past, so it's a good thing to check them out. I remember Bill Calfee once said that he only uses two out of five custom barrels he orders!
gary
Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21buck View Post

If the barrel is straight on the outside but has "Shadows" on the inside you would have to prove
it was not straight or just ask the barrel maker if he could re check it. Most of the good barrel
makers don't want a bad barrel out there and would be more than happy to check it out to see if
they have a quality control issue.

I would not think an individual could straighten or afford the equipment to straighten a barrel
and in the case of a questionable barrel most good smiths are not willing to take the chance
and use it if they have any accuracy guarantee. and if the barrel maker does not replace or
verify the quality of their barrels I never buy another one from them, and end up eating the
cost of the barrel in lieu of taking the chance of building a Turd.

The barrel is a small portion of the cost of a custom build, but a major portion of the total
accuracy potential of any firearm.

The best smith cant make a truly accurate rifle if he does not have a good barrel to start with.

So confirm that its a bad barrel or replace it, would be my advice.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

My apologies because this doesn't address the OP.

But, Gordy Gritters talks at length about dialing in your bore in his DVD, Chambering Championship Match Barrels on a Grizzly Lathe. He pretty much comes right out and says that NONE are straight and says the method he uses seems to account for that.

I wonder if he tosses out more barrels than he seems to indicate.

I need to watch the DVD again more closely.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

not to change the subject

Doesn't most gunsmiths stress the barrel blank a little when dialing in and chambering?

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
not to change the subject

Doesn't most gunsmiths stress the barrel blank a little when dialing in and chambering?

Brent
Not at all.

All of there processes are done at ambient temperatures and in the case of reaming very
little material is removed at a time while cutting the chamber(.015 to .030 Thou and clean)
if they don't have a flush system. If they do more can be removed without cleaning but
a light cut is made to save the reamer.

J E CUSTOM