Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Which Scope Ring Lapping Tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Which Scope Ring Lapping Tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
You'll like it.

Maybe you know this already but a couple of thoughts....

I put "drop rags" over my action and other parts when lapping to avoid getting any compound down into the action or anywhere else. I also mark the rings with a Dremel at the mating surface by one of the ring screws so I know which ring is front and which one is back, and which side is then left and right. A very tiny dot for the front left, and 2 dots for rear left, with the dots on both the upper and lower halves and I can identify any part if I ever take it apart again without having to worry about ring alignment or lapping.

The rings will have compound on them after the process. Be sure to clean them off thoroughly.

Have fun!

Thanks, I hadn't thought about marking the rings. That makes sense.