Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Which Scope Ring Lapping Tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Gold Member

Which Scope Ring Lapping Tool?

Hi,

Which is the best buy (works well for a reasonable price) in ring lapping tools for both 1" & 30MM scope rings? This is not for a shop but will be used for at least a dozen rifles.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which Scope Ring Lapping Tool?

All I did was was take a stick of material and turned it to the diameters I wanted.

Then cut a few grooves in it to hold the lapping compound better.

If you have access to a lathe its about 15 minutes of work and they'll last you forever. I used 15-5ph SS as its what I had laying around at the time.

Good luck.

C
Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

I've made about a dozen of them thru the years, and the best I found was made from precision grade Thompson Rod (it comes in two or three grade levels). The stuff is harder than your exwife's breath in court! Comes with .100" case on it, and will usually be about 62RC, and is dead strait right out of the tube. Once you break thru the crust it machines very well. I used to use lapping compound (5a & 7a) till some folks up in Michigan turned me onto a powder that is called "non-charging lapping compound." Who makes it? I don't know, and it's just a yellow colored powder you mix with very light weight spindle oil. It will not imbed in the scope rings, so it won't attack the scope tube later on. I gotta find a new source for the stuff as I'm about out of it.
gary
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

I would love to make my own, but it's been 30+ years since I had access to a machine shop.

If I have some rods cut from drill rod or something similar, do I have them cut exactly 1" & 30MM or do I make them slightly undersized to allow for the lapping compound? If I make them undersized, what dimensions do I specify?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Everything I've seen is on size. Mine are and they work fine.

Rather than go through all that, Brownells is probably the best answer.

C
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
Everything I've seen is on size. Mine are and they work fine.

Rather than go through all that, Brownells is probably the best answer.

C
Thank you on the size question, and yes, I will likely go with a commercial set as they are simpler to get my hands on & I have enough other projects for my spare time.

Hope Santa was generous at your house!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

I use the 1 inch version as I have no 30mm scopes, but Midway sells a nice combo if you want both sizes:

Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment and Lapping Combo Kit 1" and 30mm - MidwayUSA

Easy to use, no problems at all. Used it a few months ago to properly lap some rings on a Savage 110FP when I re-mounted the scope included with it.

I rarely my lapping tool it as I go almost exclusively with Burris Signature rings, but that's a different topic.