Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

scope mount screw broken off, whats the damage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM

scope mount screw broken off, whats the damage?

Just picked up a Weatherby vanguard varmint, only thing is once I took the old mounts off I noticed the screw closest to the barrel was broken off. It looks like the previous owner already tried to drill a hole to get it out. Im planning on taking it to a smith to have them just drill it out and re tap all the holes. Anyone have any insight as to how much it would cost to do this? Any help appreciated. thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: scope mount screw broken off, whats the damage?

I've seen price lists for drilling/tapping to 8-40 screws for $60-$80.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a note - you will probably see the barrel threads through that hole. It is the one hole that does NOT go all the way through - it does have a bottom!

I'm not saying there's not a screw in there but realize it's supposed to be different than the other 3.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM

The screw is broke nearly flush, just barely under the surface. That was my concern since it was the front hole and most Ive ever seen you can't see clear through due to the barrel if that would make it more of a problem. I know on my 700 it takes a shorter bolt up front than the rear mounts, so I'm assuming maybe the bolt bottomed out and stripped, since the others came out easy and they didn't seem like they had been over torqued.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman513 View Post
The screw is broke nearly flush, just barely under the surface. That was my concern since it was the front hole and most Ive ever seen you can't see clear through due to the barrel if that would make it more of a problem. I know on my 700 it takes a shorter bolt up front than the rear mounts, so I'm assuming maybe the bolt bottomed out and stripped, since the others came out easy and they didn't seem like they had been over torqued.
Sometimes you can buy a left spiral drill and it will back the screw out unless it is realy bad.

The other option is to unscrew the barrel and screw the broken screw on through. this will sometimes save the threads.

Good luck !

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM

I don't have any left handed bits only some ez outs and Ive never had good luck with those on really small stuff anyway. It's not sheered off flat and since its slightly below the opening don't have a way to flatten it out to get a good start with a bit either. My concern is that if that bolt did bottom out, likely hitting the barrel, if the threads on the barrel or anything else may be damaged? I was just mainly concerned with what the cost to have a smith fix this is going to be seeing as they will likely have to take the barrel off and probably just have them drill and retap all the other holes as well. Definitely appreciate all the tips though. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Just a note;

Leupold makes a picatinny mount that has both 6-32s and 8-32 screws for whatever size
you want to use and they are all the same length. (No confusion as to which screws go
where).if you have to get them drilled out and re threaded.

The rail is drilled to match the length for the action. (Neat).

J E CUSTOM