Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

scope alignment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: scope alignment

Try a competent gunsmith. Had a smith redrill an old Mauser action a few years ago. Excellent job for $45 including screws if I recall correctly. Good luck
Old 05-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Get some Burris Signature scope rings with a a set of Signature Pos-Align off-set ring inserts. Also, as previously mentioned, bed the rail.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 PM

We don't drill it. We bore it on center to the 8-40 tap drill size using an endmill.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

So, I messed around with this a bunch last night and again today. Turns out the screw holes are not off center. Ran straight edge through center of holes and they are centered with the barrel. Mounted rail, leveled rear of rail, put level on front of rail and found that it was not level. This leads me to believe that the milling on the top of the receiver is poor. Placed shim under left side of rail and tightened down again. This time , level in rear and front. I took some sandpaper , pretty rough grit to the right side of the rail and worked it for awhile. After removing a bit of metal I set it back on, tightened the screws and it was a lot more level than before. After several tries, I got it extremely close, mounted scope and re-boresighted. I now have 25 minutes to the left and 43 to the right. I believe this to be as close as I want to mess with. The scope is no longer visibly off center.
I do question bedding the rail as I think with my sanding, it's probably a good idea. Is this done pretty much the same as bedding an action?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

You can correct misaligned 6-48 holes to 8-40 with an end mill. Burris Zee Rings will get you the quick fix.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwey1 View Post
...I do question bedding the rail as I think with my sanding, it's probably a good idea. Is this done pretty much the same as bedding an action?
Everything you need to know about it:

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated!