Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage type barrel nut on CZ action / swich barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Silver Member
Re: Savage type barrel nut on CZ action / swich barrels

Here is my answer: DON'T do it until or unless you have someone watching and checking your first few times that knows what they are doing.

I know nothing about the CZ bolt face. Savage is a NO BRAINER as every barrel has a finite thread count and the breach of the barrel is flush without a bolt extractor cutout. The hex and the new spanner nuts also have a finite measurement depending on application. Simple math or cheat like me the first time and measure the thread count and the nut of a pre-existing setup like Savage.

I am not prepared to go any further because one of our barrel makers out there still can't get the thread count correct. A shipment of barrels went out and the thread shank did not have enough threads so with nut they could not thread the barrel deep enough to correctly hadspace. I also have three barrels from that maker that have too many threads requiring me to go from an oversized .250 lug to .375 to cover up the threads.

What I am saying is, you are playing with high explosives and I for one never chambered the first few times without a friend looking over my shoulder. I still have two eyes and ten fingers and I really am allergic to pain. This comes from a machinist who made a living doing precision work.

Don't do it is just my opinion.

Unread 10-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Bronze Member
Re: Savage type barrel nut on CZ action / swich barrels

I'm not familiar with a CZ bolt head. But I am with a Savage. The Savage system uses a FLOATING bolt head. Most others do not. The floating bolt head will compensate for barrel to receiver miss alignment. Which is what happens when the nut is tightened.Miss alignment can be caused by many things. Most common causes are receiver not true to the barrel bore. and loose fit of the barrel to receiver. Unless you are really experienced with your machining equipment, I wouldn't try it. Unless the bolt floats.

Regards Mike.