Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage type barrel nut on CZ action / swich barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 AM

Savage type barrel nut on CZ action / swich barrels

Hi Folks!

I'm planning on rebarreling a older CZ rifle ( 550s parent model, from 1987... as old as I am ^^) with a lothar walther barrel in 6,5-08/.260Rem.
Most of the work I'm going to do myself, including shaping the blank, cutting threads, tuning headspace and so on...
I'm studying precision engineering which is somhow familiar to gunsmithing and got my own lathe.

The rifle is currently chambered in .243 Win so swichtching to any caliber within the .308 family should be quite quite easy, shoulnd't it?

I thought of doing the barrel attachment similar to how it's done on Savages.

So I'm basically going to thread the first inch or more of the barrel, screw it in until it screws against the inner action's face, screw on the barrel nut an screw the nut against the outer action's face.

Finetuning of headspace could be done by turning of thou's of the chambers/barrels face or by reaming the chamber deeper. Of course I would prefer the first technique because of not needing a chamber reamer then.
Are Forster's headspace gauges any good or do you have any other recommendations? Is it also worth the afford spending more attention on tuning tuning headspace than simply checking if headspace is "within go and no-go" ? I started wondering since I saw those gauges are aviable in 1/1000" increments.

Is there anyting I have not thought of, or anybody that thinks that's not a good idea, for whatever reason?

Would an savage action have an (serious) advantage over what I've planned? Apart from their ability to change bolt heads for even more flexible caliber switching...

thanks in advance!

regards

PS: Feel free to correct any grammar or spelling mistakes since english isn't my mother tongue ;-)

Last edited by Romeyo; 08-31-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Re: Savage type barrel nut on CZ action / swich barrels

Well I thought your question was good and merited an answer...at least in six weeks...

I do not know the answer to your question, but considering the lack of reply you are probably asking about a creative solution to a problem that other gunsmiths solve differently.

It is hard to get a good craftsman to share about his craft, afterall why give away knowlege that he could get paid for? Give it a try and see.

Mike B
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Hello Mike!

Thank you for your motivating words ;)

And yeah, seemes to be pretty tough to find anwers relating to "advanced gunsmithing" questions...

But i'm gonna do it!... i'm just saving money right now to get all the components together... but still wondering which headspace gauges to use for best results... But it likely doesn't matter at all als long as the reloaded ammo meets the chambers specs...

romeyo
Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

You might want to contact pacnor. They make prefit barrels for Savages. They also make prefit barrels for Remingtons that headspace with a barrel nut. They've made the barrel nut to use a Savage nut wrench.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 AM

Have you seen the Savage Model 10 precision? Really nice carbine in 223 or 308 with the Savage AccuStock.

MB
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! The point is, I really want to do as much of the work as possible by myself. I'm about to finish studying precision engineering and i'm really interested in gunsmithing and firearm technology. Of course I could get a prefinished barrel for almost every system... but that would be rather boring, you know ^^

I'm also about getting a Savage system (target or varminter) I'm going to use as heart of a custom tube gun style rifle... I then maybe end up paying all my attention to that project rather than to the CZ for a while ^^

I don't mind which project finishing first, als long as there's work and a rifle that needs care, machining and beeing tuned so i don't get bored ^^

romeyo
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

Head space when, a go/no go gage cant be found. Can be done with a sized case, I will use clear tape .0015 " on the back of the rear of the case. Screw down the barrel and tighten..add another layer of tape,(no go). Remove the tapes (go). fired round to check actual head space. The last time I used this method I got .0015 on my Savage.

Regards Mike