Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage style muzzle brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Savage style muzzle brakes

I know there are tons of posts on here about this godforsaken things, but none I can find about the on/off ones like savage is putting on their rifles. Is anyone besides brockman building this type? I have my own range I shoot at so bothering others while Im shooting isnt an issue, I just like the idea of having the brake for target practice and turning it off for hunting.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage style muzzle brakes

I have one on my Savage LRH. I think it is a poor design. The instructions say to keep oil out of it or it will jam up. I kept oil out of it and it still froze. It has been frozen in the "brake on" position for months. Tried to free it up but no success. So I just left it in the on position. I like the design of the brake on my Cooper. It screws on and off easily. If I want to use it without the brake, I just put a sleeve on in place of the brake. If anybody has any good ideas on a solvent that will free it up let me know. I have tried Kroil, WD40, wipe out, Hoppes, Rem oil, etc. No Luck. I didn't want to force it and risk messing up the rifle. It shoots .25 MOA.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmfan View Post
Is anyone besides brockman building this type?
Yes, try CP Convertible ON/OFF Muzzle Brake Daily Bulletin

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Alternatively, you can unscrew a good brake and replace with a thread protector.

It might affect POI and/or accuracy depending on factors such as barrel weight and length. You'll just have to see.

-- richard
Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have one on my Savage LRH. I think it is a poor design. The instructions say to keep oil out of it or it will jam up. I kept oil out of it and it still froze. It has been frozen in the "brake on" position for months. Tried to free it up but no success. So I just left it in the on position. I like the design of the brake on my Cooper. It screws on and off easily. If I want to use it without the brake, I just put a sleeve on in place of the brake. If anybody has any good ideas on a solvent that will free it up let me know. I have tried Kroil, WD40, wipe out, Hoppes, Rem oil, etc. No Luck. I didn't want to force it and risk messing up the rifle. It shoots .25 MOA.

Try Break Free or PB Blaster
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Not to stray off topic, but I had a problem with the savage break freezing up after I had shot it few times when new, and did not lube or clean afterwards. I used break-free and it came open, and I have never had the problem since - with no change in the regimen. I clean after accuracy suffers, or at the end of hunting season.

Last edited by csam; 10-25-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: to make my English teachers less ashamed...