Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage Stock Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Savage Stock Question

Has anyone replaced a stock on either of these two guns?

Savage 110 Preadtor in 6.5x284
Savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284

I was looking into buying on of these to rifles stock and then replacing the stock with something like a Mcmillan A3 of A# sporter.

Please let me know what possiblities there are?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Stock Question

I just replace the original stock on my 110 (22-250) with a Boyds thumbhole. I pillar bedded it and used Devcon plastic steel. It took my loads that shot 1/2moa or better and cut em in half. With the original stock I always had muzzle jump that would take my sights completely off target, the new stock put a stop to that, at 300yrds my cross hairs never leave the target, and now felt recoil is more along the lines of my 10-22, not that an 11lb 22-250 has much recoil to begin with. But it is a completely different rifle now.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM

So, it was no problem replacing a stock in model 110.

Was it an Accustock?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Boyds laminated thumbhole
Boyds Gunstock Industries Inc., Firearms cross reference guide

Pretty easy really, I just had to open up the inletting for the bedding material and the barrel channel a little to get the clearance I wanted, the toughest part was cleaning out the Devcon that squished out inside of the inletting, holy crap that stuff gets hard. All said and done I'm into it for about $140-150
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Gold Member

I have a stock from stockade. It's the Predator/Tactical stock. Sort of a Mcmillan A5 Clone. I got the money saver and did the finish work myself and got the Detachable mag bottum metal and mag for like 550 bucks to my door. Bit of a wait. I bedded it with Devcon myself. Really happy with it.

Home - Stockade Gun Stocks

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

+1 on Stockade. I got one of their thumbhole stocks and it is awesome
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Perfect. I like the Stockade stocks.

I think I'm settling in on 111 Long Range Hunter and putting it in the tactical stock.

Two questions:

Do they cut the stock to fit the exact model? Making sure the barrel channel isn't to small over extremely to big.

If you have them paint the stock does the webbing and texture come out like a Weatherby finish?

Thanks everyone