close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Reply

Savage SA Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,381
Savage SA Question

Is the only difference between the 4.400 and 4.275 Savage short actions the location of the front action screw? If its only .125 further forward on the 4.400 and the back hole and trigger guard hole are the same as the 4.275 action I can make one of Stockys new Savage stocks fit my current rifle

Thanks

Chris
__________________
Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
    KRP KRP is offline
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Kuna, ID
    Posts: 594
    Re: Savage SA Question

    That will work, the rear action screw is in the same place on all Savage actions.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-16-2010, 03:28 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Southern Wisconsin
    Posts: 1,381
    Re: Savage SA Question

    Thanks KRP, put my order in yesterday afternoon.

    Chris
    __________________
    Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: Savage SA Question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
    Is the only difference between the 4.400 and 4.275 Savage short actions the location of the front action screw? If its only .125 further forward on the 4.400 and the back hole and trigger guard hole are the same as the 4.275 action I can make one of Stockys new Savage stocks fit my current rifle

    Thanks

    Chris
    Yes the rear action screw is in the same place on both.

    Don't know how you intend to make it work . But I simply machine a larger front pillar
    and offset the hole by .125 Thousandths.

    Just the way i do it.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: Southern Wisconsin
    Posts: 1,381
    Re: Savage SA Question

    Quote:
    Don't know how you intend to make it work . But I simply machine a larger front pillar
    and offset the hole by .125 Thousandths.
    That's pretty much what I had in mind. Except this one doesnt have a pillar yet so I'll be putting one in.

    Thought I'd plug the hole with a dowel, locate the center of the plug and come back .125 to center up the new hole. Then make that hole large enough to take out the plug. Install appropriate pillar.

    Of coarse I'm sure I've made it sound like an easier project than I'll actually turn it into

    Chris
    __________________
    Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: Savage SA Question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
    That's pretty much what I had in mind. Except this one doesnt have a pillar yet so I'll be putting one in.

    Thought I'd plug the hole with a dowel, locate the center of the plug and come back .125 to center up the new hole. Then make that hole large enough to take out the plug. Install appropriate pillar.

    Of coarse I'm sure I've made it sound like an easier project than I'll actually turn it into

    Chris
    Chris.

    I don't think I made it clear that I offset the hole in the pillar and just drill the existing hole
    in the stock larger to except the pillar.

    After making the pillar I offset it in the lathe by the amount that I want and simply drill the
    hole in the pillar. This saves the stock and the pillar works very good.

    This kills two birds with one stone.

    Good luck

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-16-2010, 11:41 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: SW Montana
    Posts: 5,639
    Re: Savage SA Question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    Chris.

    I don't think I made it clear that I offset the hole in the pillar and just drill the existing hole
    in the stock larger to except the pillar.

    After making the pillar I offset it in the lathe by the amount that I want and simply drill the
    hole in the pillar. This saves the stock and the pillar works very good.

    This kills two birds with one stone.

    Good luck

    J E CUSTOM
    Nice, I'm going to file that in the memory banks!!!
    __________________
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body"
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Savage SA Question
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Another Savage Question 7MilMauser Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 4 11-15-2010 02:41 AM
    Savage 30-06 AI question kshunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 10-11-2010 03:30 PM
    New Savage Question drsandman Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 05-13-2009 12:02 PM
    Savage Question Gaut The Basics, Starting Out 4 10-26-2008 09:31 PM
    Savage Question? panhandlepr Long Range Hunting & Shooting 1 11-29-2007 03:38 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC