Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage recoil lug, and head spacing ? for 338edge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage recoil lug, and head spacing ? for 338edge

Not my first savage build but wasnt sure since you cant buy factory 338edge brass ( that i know of ), you have to neck up 300 rum brass that i should use factory new 300rum brass to head space or run the new brass throught the dies then use the new "sized brass" to head space with, or be better off getting a go gauge. I want to do it the best way to achieve the better quality, have spent alot of money in this project so far and not trying to skimp on a $35 component but if the brass is better im all in for it.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

The Shawn that MachV was talking about is Shawn Carlock. He is getting a batch of 338 Edge headstamped Bertram brass.

I've had issues using new brass to set headspace. The new brass was so much smaller, that when fired the brass was still too small to be FL sized. I had to re-headspace out a bit to blow them out enough to get re-sized properly.

I prefer to use a piece that has been fired, annealed, then FL sized.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

I would recommend using the correct gauge. There are too many discrepencies in using new brass.

I ordered a Clymer 300 Ultra Go-Gauge from Brownells for $25.00 and had it in about 3-4 days. #184-100-306 9 (There are others but that's the one I used)

Remove the firing pin and ejector, then set the head space so the bolt just closes on the go gauge. Then place a piece of Scotch Tape on the end of the gauge and ensure the bolt does not close. You won't get it any better than that.

JMTC
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
The Shawn that MachV was talking about is Shawn Carlock. He is getting a batch of 338 Edge headstamped Bertram brass.

I've had issues using new brass to set headspace. The new brass was so much smaller, that when fired the brass was still too small to be FL sized. I had to re-headspace out a bit to blow them out enough to get re-sized properly.

I prefer to use a piece that has been fired, annealed, then FL sized.
Exactly what I do. New brass is too undersized in my experience. I prefer to use once fired resized. I used once fired resized 300 rum brass to set my edge with no issues.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Well i dont have any fired 338edge brass or fired 300rum brass all i have is new 300rum brass so i called Dave Manson and he is shipping out a go gauge. I did put the thing together last night, not headspaced but had to see what it looked like. Going to pull back apart and send the action up to Jim See to go ahead and true and blue it before i shoot it.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Looks good and it sounds like you got a good handle on it....Exept for one little thing that can be a big thing= The brake has holes in the bottom of it
Got a nasty reminder yesterday of what shooting off the ground and muzzle blast can do, still trying to get the dang dirt out of my eyes and the 7mag doesnt even have a brake. I would have enjoyed shooting the 338 Edge with its side port brake but I forgot the ammo ;-(
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Yea that brake came with it, going to see just how bad it is and might end up with a 4 port muscle brake, they are awesome and i have test the one i currently have on a savage 12bvss 300wsm on back of a flatbed with a layer of loose hay and didnt get a single piece on me after 5 shots.