Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage model 116 barrel fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 AM

Savage model 116 barrel fix?

I just acquired a 7mag model 116 made by savage, I love this gun, but upon examination of it I now see why it was priced rather cheap. The barrel is bent about 6 inches from the very end, not too noticeable but noticeable enough. So now I am left with 3 options.. Get a new barrel, let my local gunsmith straighten this one, or cut it down and recrown it. I am really wondering which would be the best option. I am a do it yourself type of guy and would like to just cut the barrel down ( for maneuverability ) and to make it accurate again. What are your thoughts on this? I am sure I will lose some fps and maybe out of the box accuracy but then again I am working on a rather tight budget. And I like to put my own touch to my firearms. How short could I cut it? How much less accurate would it be from the stock new barrel?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: Savage model 116 barrel fix?

Without a tax stamp you can legally cut it to 16". No way of knowing about accuracy without doing it and testing, it may improve. I'd personally just replace it as a barrel that short on a 7mag seems a waste to me. Pre-fits aren't that expensive and factory take offs are cheap.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
SPONSOR

Any barrel, that's been under enough stress to bend , should be discarded.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

I would put another barrel on it for sure, i have only bent at the end put probably stressed it up closer to the action and its not worth risking it, used take off barrels can be bought and change out with very little trouble.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Especially used Savages, lots of them, just get the shank size right and check everywhere. People sell them and change calibers like underwear with Savages, that's why a lot of people like Savages, you'd be surprised how cheap ou might find one. ou could go to 7mm stw too.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM

You need to have the entire barreled action checked it takes a lot of force to bend the last six inches of barrel. This is a safety issue you Must address! Once you are sure the action is safe you can replace the barrel.