Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

I'd say "you're frettin' over a moot point,,, buy a quality made steel base/rail and be happy". There are alot more variables to be concerned with than this. And, if ya' just have to make one, 4140HT is readily available in small quantities where as the two TM listed could be hard to find (in small quantities).
Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I'd say "you're frettin' over a moot point,,, buy a quality made steel base/rail and be happy". There are alot more variables to be concerned with than this. And, if ya' just have to make one, 4140HT is readily available in small quantities where as the two TM listed could be hard to find (in small quantities).
I cannot for the life of me see why anybody would want to make their own. Looks easy, but when you start setting up those gauge lines for the dual dove tail and keeping them parallel it becomes a true pain in the butt. One side is easy, but a second one will often drive you battey. It is doable with construction holes and good tooling balls, but for $75 you can buy a Farrell. I do recommend dowl pinning the base to the action as this adds a little more rigidity to the reciever.
gary
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I cannot for the life of me see why anybody would want to make their own. Looks easy, but when you start setting up those gauge lines for the dual dove tail and keeping them parallel it becomes a true pain in the butt. One side is easy, but a second one will often drive you battey. It is doable with construction holes and good tooling balls, but for $75 you can buy a Farrell. I do recommend dowl pinning the base to the action as this adds a little more rigidity to the reciever.
gary
Agreed! To begin with, you'd need a pretty 'tight' mill and a quality made vise, no Chicom stuff. Then there's the tooling,,, how many scope mounts/rails do you suppose could be bought for what just the cutting tools would cost. You'll need the same set-up skills whether you're using a manuel mill of a CNC. If it's a CNC you should figure programing in, too. Like I said, there are alot more things to concentrate on than common materials for action and scope base/rail. Are you not dealing with a production built rifle, to begin with?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Agreed! To begin with, you'd need a pretty 'tight' mill and a quality made vise, no Chicom stuff. Then there's the tooling,,, how many scope mounts/rails do you suppose could be bought for what just the cutting tools would cost. You'll need the same set-up skills whether you're using a manuel mill of a CNC. If it's a CNC you should figure programing in, too. Like I said, there are alot more things to concentrate on than common materials for action and scope base/rail. Are you not dealing with a production built rifle, to begin with?
The price of a Kurtt vise these days is scarey!! You'd have to do the mill work off the face of the end mill, or plan on grinding the dove tails. Plus that piece of steel is going to curl up on you like a leaf spring!! If I had to build one, I'd do it off a rotary table (serious bucks). Better yet would be to do it on an old shaper, and pray you have your angles right. For sure a Bridgeport is out of the question for a good and strait mount.
gary
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Gary....

I have a spare Troyke I'll sell you and a Parlec which is as good for jaw deflection as a Kurt is as well. Got 2 LSS Digital Height Masters with extension bases too and a set of Weber Cro-blocks.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Gary....

I have a spare Troyke I'll sell you and a Parlec which is as good for jaw deflection as a Kurt is as well. Got 2 LSS Digital Height Masters with extension bases too and a set of Weber Cro-blocks.
I don't know what I'd do with them, but know somebody that might be interested
gary