Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing


Reply

Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 AM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the Southern Plains
Posts: 1,082
Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

I'd say "you're frettin' over a moot point,,, buy a quality made steel base/rail and be happy". There are alot more variables to be concerned with than this. And, if ya' just have to make one, 4140HT is readily available in small quantities where as the two TM listed could be hard to find (in small quantities).
__________________
"Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face. Not everything can be fixed on an internet forum!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I'd say "you're frettin' over a moot point,,, buy a quality made steel base/rail and be happy". There are alot more variables to be concerned with than this. And, if ya' just have to make one, 4140HT is readily available in small quantities where as the two TM listed could be hard to find (in small quantities).
I cannot for the life of me see why anybody would want to make their own. Looks easy, but when you start setting up those gauge lines for the dual dove tail and keeping them parallel it becomes a true pain in the butt. One side is easy, but a second one will often drive you battey. It is doable with construction holes and good tooling balls, but for $75 you can buy a Farrell. I do recommend dowl pinning the base to the action as this adds a little more rigidity to the reciever.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the Southern Plains
Posts: 1,082
Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I cannot for the life of me see why anybody would want to make their own. Looks easy, but when you start setting up those gauge lines for the dual dove tail and keeping them parallel it becomes a true pain in the butt. One side is easy, but a second one will often drive you battey. It is doable with construction holes and good tooling balls, but for $75 you can buy a Farrell. I do recommend dowl pinning the base to the action as this adds a little more rigidity to the reciever.
gary
Agreed! To begin with, you'd need a pretty 'tight' mill and a quality made vise, no Chicom stuff. Then there's the tooling,,, how many scope mounts/rails do you suppose could be bought for what just the cutting tools would cost. You'll need the same set-up skills whether you're using a manuel mill of a CNC. If it's a CNC you should figure programing in, too. Like I said, there are alot more things to concentrate on than common materials for action and scope base/rail. Are you not dealing with a production built rifle, to begin with?
__________________
"Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face. Not everything can be fixed on an internet forum!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Agreed! To begin with, you'd need a pretty 'tight' mill and a quality made vise, no Chicom stuff. Then there's the tooling,,, how many scope mounts/rails do you suppose could be bought for what just the cutting tools would cost. You'll need the same set-up skills whether you're using a manuel mill of a CNC. If it's a CNC you should figure programing in, too. Like I said, there are alot more things to concentrate on than common materials for action and scope base/rail. Are you not dealing with a production built rifle, to begin with?
The price of a Kurtt vise these days is scarey!! You'd have to do the mill work off the face of the end mill, or plan on grinding the dove tails. Plus that piece of steel is going to curl up on you like a leaf spring!! If I had to build one, I'd do it off a rotary table (serious bucks). Better yet would be to do it on an old shaper, and pray you have your angles right. For sure a Bridgeport is out of the question for a good and strait mount.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,421
Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

Gary....

I have a spare Troyke I'll sell you and a Parlec which is as good for jaw deflection as a Kurt is as well. Got 2 LSS Digital Height Masters with extension bases too and a set of Weber Cro-blocks.
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,544
Re: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Gary....

I have a spare Troyke I'll sell you and a Parlec which is as good for jaw deflection as a Kurt is as well. Got 2 LSS Digital Height Masters with extension bases too and a set of Weber Cro-blocks.
I don't know what I'd do with them, but know somebody that might be interested
gary
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Savage metal, what kind of metal is it
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB 700 BDL SA Bottom Metal Etc... RO828 Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 3 09-13-2012 06:45 PM
WTB - Aftermarket Savage stock/trigger/bottom metal MitchRE Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 02-17-2011 02:18 PM
WTS:BDL metal SA matrxx Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 06-07-2009 01:14 AM
fs savage 99 metal clip/magazine for 308/243 ragtag Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 04-07-2008 09:28 PM
Gun metal coating ? ol mike Gunsmithing 5 02-12-2008 07:21 PM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.92%
1,648 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.08%
612 Votes
Total Votes: 2,260
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC