Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage ejector spring problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage ejector spring problems

happened on 34.5g varget and 60 gr Vmax's. I know the load was apparently too hot with soft remington brass (junk!), but I was well in the limits according to Hodgdon's data. Have you ever experinced this first hand with the savage?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

well, I got impatient and decided to give it a try to drill it out myself and I got the old pin out, but the spring still won't come yet. I'll probably just work on it with a drill for a while and order a new spring and ejector plug from Midway. Thanks for the information guys!!!

a side note: a local smith told me that he may have to send it in to the factory if they coldn't get it out and that gets kinda spendy cuz they have to send the whole rifle in. I suggested that it mab be cheaper to simply purchase a new bolt head from midway and he said that every bolt head has to be custom fit to the chamber???? I thought you could swopp those heads pretty easily without any costom work...?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
well, I got impatient and decided to give it a try to drill it out myself and I got the old pin out, but the spring still won't come yet. I'll probably just work on it with a drill for a while and order a new spring and ejector plug from Midway. Thanks for the information guys!!!

a side note: a local smith told me that he may have to send it in to the factory if they coldn't get it out and that gets kinda spendy cuz they have to send the whole rifle in. I suggested that it mab be cheaper to simply purchase a new bolt head from midway and he said that every bolt head has to be custom fit to the chamber???? I thought you could swopp those heads pretty easily without any costom work...?
You just need to set the headspace on the barrel. This takes about 5 minutes.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks a lot for the information guys, Just got the bolt put back together with midwayUSA parts (@$15... not too bad) and I'm going to start putting 'er through the paces again lol!