Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

this savage is driving me nuts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Savage will only tighten the screws. Take it to a smith and have it pillar bedded.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: this savage is driving me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll-Yur-Own View Post
Savage will only tighten the screws. Take it to a smith and have it pillar bedded.
I am hopeing you are wrong because I sent my 12 fvl 22-250 back to savage through the dealer (scheels all sports) 5 weeks ago because it wouldn't shoot. It should be back any minute and I'll fill you in if they did any barrel lapping or anything like that.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: the definition of accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony stark View Post
if i send the rifle back to savage, should they fix this problem?
i called them to see what bedding the rifle would do to my warranty.
they said if i bedded it, void nada, it's mine.

it's mine now (i mean i payed for it) but if they are going to do the same substandard thing that they did before, then i am just wasting time.

i am just venting and am tring to figure out want to do.

the thumhole stock fits me perfectly, and i really like the gun, i would like it even more if the doggone thing would shoot.

i guess that this is not my definition of accuracy
I suspect that you did not speak with the correct person at Savage. IMO, their customer service is second to none

edge.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 AM

i called Joe at savage, he was not in his office so i left a message.
he returned my call and my wife told him that i am hard to reach during the day.
now for the impressed part,
he took his time and called me back after hours.
i explained what i was going thru and wants to see the rifle.
now for the really impressed part, he made arrangments for ups to pick up the rifle saying if somthing is wrong with it he is going to see that it is fixed.

i am impressed
Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 AM

I have seen several Savage laminated stocks with the factory pillars that were split. The laminate had seperated causing a hairline crack that allowed the pillars to move in the stock. The screws are tight bearing against the pillars (as they should) but the pillars are moving slightly causing BIG accuracy problems. The factory pillars are pressed in and not glued (BVSS stocks anyway). Draw an imaginary line from the center of the front pillar to the rear pillar and inspect carefully with magnifier under light with the stock off the rifle to see if this is the problem. If so the stock can be repaired and be usable. I suggest all Savage owners of fifles with laminated stocks check this. This may not be your problem but if I had it I would check that first. If memory serves me I have repaired 3 BVSS stocks and 1 low profile stock with this problem. Good luck, RandyB.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 AM

what wood factory (savage) stocks pillare bedded?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

hey mate you could pillar bed and glass bed it yourself and safe some $