Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Bolt

James Jones gave you the best directions.

AJ Peacock gave you the best advice.

If your going to own and work on a savage. $12 membership will be money well spent. It works out to less than pennies an hour spent there for me.

I'm an engineer too. Savages fuel my tinkering fire.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

MachV be nice , he was just miss directed at a young age and diden't relize what he was doing

Just jerking your chain , I just came off the roof of our VAB with an engineer who wants us to install a 100hp motor up their today even though the wind is blowing a steady 50 mph and gust to 70 !! he just coulden't understand what was so unsafe about working on top of a 240 foot building in those winds so WE took a walk and now he understands

The headspace on the savage is adjusted via the barrel nut , it can be done with a headspace guage by threading the barrel on partly , inserting the Go Guage and closing the bolt ,then screw the barrel down til it contacts the guage , then tighten the barrel nut. When I do it I use a fired case than has been FL sized in my die and filled with epoxy so its solid , I use that as a guage and it sets the chamber for min haedspace for you dies.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

I was being nice James;) Nuthin personal with Cruisin just aint got much time for most engineers!
If you use a resized case(Go Gauge) its a good idea to double check the headspace...Put two pieces of scotch on over the base(No-Go gauge) and try to chamber it again= The bolt should not close!!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks again guys that is all I needed. I truely appreciate your advice. I might sign up as well for the sss website but as of right now that was all the info I needed.

Yeah the relationship between engineers and the guys that are out in the field making things work is always good for a laugh. I've been fortunate to been able to work on both ends, so I know how it goes. The bottom line is neither of us know what we are doing. We just figure it out as we go along.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizin View Post
Yeah the relationship between engineers and the guys that are out in the field making things work is always good for a laugh. I've been fortunate to been able to work on both ends, so I know how it goes. The bottom line is neither of us know what we are doing. We just figure it out as we go along.
Good point. I've been lucky in that respect as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

I am a machinist by trade and always get a kick out of seeing a clearance hole dimensioned to 4 decimal places

My father graduated from college as a electrical engineer in 1939. At that time engineers had to take shop classes so that they knew first hand what it took to achieve dimensions in a shop. Somehow I don't think that today's engineers take shop

edge.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting comments about Engineers. I studied 3.5 years full time to became a Civil Engineer; I was not smart enough to finish it.

About the comments, I... Well, I gave geargrinder (an Engineer) a full box with 1000 Gold Match Large Magnum primers and he would not take them... I offered twice... For free, you all know how hard it is to find those primers. He Would Not Take them... :confused:

Too late now Mr. Geargrinder.

Seriously now, he would not take them because he is a very good friend of mine; he did not want to take advantage of me. He knows he can have... as a matter of fact I have 300 of those primers ready for him that he hasn't shown up to pick them up.

Geargrinder has done all kinds of field work before he became an Engineer; I know he can be trusted as one.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!