Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Savage Bolt

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advise. I decided to build a gun from a savage action. I need to change the bolt head and bolt lever, but I'm having a hard time finding much info on it. There is the savage shooters website but there is a membership charge that I'm not really interested in. It's not about the money just don't want to have to sign up for something like a website.

I'm an engineer and fix all kinds of things so basically I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to look out for. It's from an older 110 model. I was looking at the bolt and there is a big screw on the back (flat head screw). I'm thinking I need to remove this then the firing pin assy looks like it is locked in with a pin that is cammed in. The bolt head seems to be held in with a dowel that must have a hole in it for the firing pin to go through.

I'm thinking I just need to remove the screw on the back and the firing pin assy should come out next then pound out the pin? Does this sound right?

Do I need to worry about measuring the firing pin or adjusting it in any way?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Bolt

The Savage Shooters forum is the first place I send folks, as there is tons of info specifically for your question there. When I was building my Savage, I purchased a one year membership and downloaded all the articles etc. They were a great help.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Unscrew the big screw in the rear , take off the bolt handel then the caming piece , they just slide off. Their is a little thin piece of sheet metal inside the bolt reach in and pull it back then take out the little round cap pin on the side , the sheet metal has a slot this sits in with a hole in the bottom so it doesen't fall out . Now tale the firing pin out , here you have a naked holow bolt with the head on it , their is a small cross pin behind the head bush it out then the bolt head comes right out , DO NOT try to drive this pin out with the firing pin still in as the cross pin has a hole that the firing pin goes through.

Take not as to the side of the bold that the ejector is on and what the cap pin on the rear , it'll save you some time later.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

Thank you very much you guys! I appreciate it very much! My next question in headspacing. It looks like you shim the bolt head on the savage to adjust headspacing. Is this correct?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

No, headspacing is done by installing the barrel to the correct point and then tightening the barrel nut. I really recommend the articles on the Savage shooters forum.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Measure the firing pin diameter. IIRC there are two sizes so you need to know which bolt head to buy. I think

edge.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Free advise!
Running a website aint cheap and done right takes a lot of time!!
Pay the $12 and give SSS and Northlander a call or two, being an engineer your gonna need it
I could give you a lot more advise but its been my experience that as an engineer you will not listen anyway!!
This advise brought to you by the poor uneducated sarcastic smuck that has to make engineered parts work