Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

savage barrel nut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

savage barrel nut

A friend of mine wants a heavier barrel on his long range savage. the barrel nut has no provisions for removal or replacement. savage says this is for liability reasons. is machining the nut off and replacing it with a new nut and barrel a straight forward swap or will I find other concsrns along the way
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: savage barrel nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
A friend of mine wants a heavier barrel on his long range savage. the barrel nut has no provisions for removal or replacement. savage says this is for liability reasons. is machining the nut off and replacing it with a new nut and barrel a straight forward swap or will I find other concsrns along the way
No need to machine that new style nut off. A pipe wrench works just fine. If you want to re-use it, SSS make a special nut wrench for the new style nuts.

Or, once it is off, you can always use the older style grooved nuts. They can be purchased from Midway or Brownells for pretty cheap.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM
SPONSOR

Evidently, Savage is seeing too many barrels not installed properly that have been installed outside of the factory. Headspacing a chamber/barrel should never be taken lightly. It's not just about how it affects the brass or accuracy, it's about safety.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

In my opinion, they went to a smooth nut for looks. Most people know that Savages shoot well out of the box. But some object to the looks of the "ugly" nut.

If Savage were really doing it to limit liability they would put smooth nuts on the Stevens 200 and "Edge" rifles.

If all else fails, you can use a Marlin XL or XS nut. Same grooves and same thread.

BTW...This isn't the first time Savage used smooth barrel nuts. I had a long action J rifle from the mid-70's that had a smooth nut.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

I do not believe for one second the barrel nut has anything to do with liability. When the Short Mag and the Rum were already on the market, Savage is the only company I am aware of that went to the large barrel shank concept. I can buy, Margin of error", on this one!

When Savage came out with the new Accustock and the new bolt release concept the spent a lot of money following some idea or concept and lost a lot of new Savage customers.

The smooth nut came out a long time ago and some of us brought it back before Savage and it looked good. The Spanner nut looks good but I am shooting Savages as most I know are because the of ease in which we can change calibers without spending coin for a new gun. The Accustock concept is not user friendly for those who want a nice new pretty stock.

So what I am seeing is they have engineered OUT the reason many of us went to Savage.

Neal
Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

I rebarrel most of my customers Savages w/o the Nut so they can have a shoulder against the recoil lug. they are not switching the barrels between multiple actions. Savages work well with a 1.250 barrel turned to 1.125 and threaded 20 tpi. I use precision ground after market lugs made by Dave Kiff at PT&G.
Nat Lambeth

Last edited by Rustystud; 09-02-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

WOW! I thank you folks for all the information. THIS IS COOL.