Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage action questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

Savage action questions

I tried some searching but haven't found the answer to my question yet so here goes... I was in the process of gathering parts to build a 338 Lapua Magnum off a Savage long action.

I contacted Lothar Walther about having a barrel made and they said that the Savage action has been sucessfully used for 338 Lapua many times but I would need the Large Shank action to build in this caliber. The action I have for the build is of course standard shank. So I started searching for a large shank action/rifle. They are quite abundant in Short actions but I'm having difficulty locating a long action with large shank.

I have contacted Shilen to see if they have any imput on the subject and am awaiting a reply. I've heard that guys have built ultra mags on standard shanks and some have had issues with the barrel nut on large shanks. Another question is if anyone knows weather or not I can have my smith cut large shank threads into my standard action (if memory serves there wasn't a ton of extra material there)

The other issue I have is that the ejector for the WSM/RUM bolt face is in the reciever. I am unfamiliar with this as all my rifles have the ejector in the bolt face. Is there any way to install an ejector into the reciever of a standard action?

I apologise about asking so many questions and taxing the system here. I'm definately getting out more than I'm putting into this forum. Please bear with me if some of the questions are amature or ignorant, I've only put a few of these rifles together and have never changed from one bolt face to another before. Thanks for all your help.

Lucas Beitner

Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Lucas------why not sell the Savage and go with the Stiller that is specifically made for the Lapua.. Just a thought as I have several 338 Lapua Improved on actions from the Stiller Python to the Mark V.. Their is a Stiller sitting in my safe that will be the ELK gun I am going to put together.. Just a thought..
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

The way to get a long action/ large shank is to find a RUM action. They are around bet getting tough to find. But, I don't think that the shank size is going to be the big problem. It's going to be getting the correct bolt face. Savage never made a bolt face larger than the magnum. You can't just toss them in the lathe and open them up like a Remington either. I have heard that they have been modified to work but it wasn't easy.

If you are dead set on the Lapua, I would agree with Boss Hoss and find a more appropriate action.

If your willing to bend a bit, the choices are many. You could chamber any of the ultras, even the 338 edge. It doesn't matter large shank or small shank. I even know that AJ Peacock on here is running an ultra in his short action Savage. He just has to pull the bolt to get a loaded round out.

Sorry, no easy answer.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info guys, I completely understand there's no easy answer. The problem for me switching to another action is that I then have to use my gun smith to do more of the work. I love to put rifles together myself, that's why I have been buying nothing but Savage for the last few years. I showed my smith the bolt face (I bought one for wsm/rum) and he said he can open it no problem, but I didn't know about the ejector then. He's a pretty crafty fellow so maybe he can figure something out. He's always encouraged me to continue building as much of the rifles as I can (I guess he isn't hurting for work) he's working on one of my remingtons now. I may have to use some Stiller actions in the future, I was looking at them on 6mmbr.com and they look very nice. I may just have to build a different caliber altogether as suggested, I've been wanting a 7wsm anyway. Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

I did a bit more research. All you need to do is find a Savage bolt head that was for the Lazeroni's. It used a .577" vs. the wsm/rum .532". That wouldn't take much to make the Lapua fit.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Lucas
I don't know if he still does, but at one time Sharp Shooter supply offered Savage boltheads for the .338 Lapua case.
James
Old 01-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys, I'll check out those leads.