Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage Accu Trigger Problem !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

Savage Accu Trigger Problem !

I have been shooting the new model Savage F10-FCP-K in .223 with Great results with many different bullets and loads and everything has beed fine until last Sat. I had the trigger tuned to 2.75lb. pull but on Sat. it seemed you just had to look at it and the rifle went off ! I took the bolt out a couple of times and on one occasion the firing pin was still in the fired position! Has anybody else ran into problems with their Savage Rifles with the ACCU-Trigger ?`I'm thinking it's either the sear/trigger or the firing pin spring maybe broken or worn out ? Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Accu Trigger Problem !

You mentioned "You had the trigger tuned to 2.75lb. pull" By who? Was it a qualified gunsmith? If so I'd take it back to the gunsmith and have him/her give a once over. If it wasn't set by a qualified gunsmith then I'd take it to one. IMHO I will only have trigger work done by a qualified smith...I don't want my gun going bang when it's not supposed to, I've seen it happen.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Without stiring up the pot here,
Im not a fan of Savage, nor thier triggers,for my own personal reasons, BUT I AM A BIG FAN of what Savage have/is attempting to do with thier rifles and triggers.
Im a tinkerer' and get personal satisfaction from doing my own ''small time'' smithing. Ie; triggers and small odd jobs one can do in thier garage that doesnt nessicitate a real smith(Depending on experience and opinion). Savage (to thier credit) has realy stepped up to the plate to give an owner adjustable and reliable trigger. Theyve made it very simple and easy to do on your own.
If you have a problemb with your trigger, it surely has an easily explainable reason to have broken, or worn, and an easy solution to the problemb. My first guess would be the sear as you stated. Wich may require a competent smith, or may not(again D.O.E. and opinion). Have you taken the assembly apart and looked it over yet?
There are a number of Savage fans here (as you know) who know these rifles inside and out, and could probably be of some help to you. It seems to me alot of the Savage fans frequent the ''long range shooting'' thread here on L/R/H. Liltank, Bigngreen and alot more may have some quality advise for you if you send them a P.M. reguarding the trigger issue you are having.

Im not dissagreeing with Chas1 here. When in doubt take it to a real smith. Safety is paramount. But for the guys who like to DIY on the small stuff, Savage seems to be DIY friendly for the fans and owners of thier product.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Which Accu trigger model, and by tuned do you mean just adjusting the spring? And is this a stock action or tuned ?
The Accu trigger by design blocks the sear from fully disengaging if there is a trigger problem. I would tear that bolt apart, if it is not staying cocked something is wrong there first, and inspect the upper part of the sear and pin.

Now that I think about it if the spring was broke it may not hold the firing pin in place when cocking and it wouldn't put the pressure on the sear making it touchy because of lack of resistance.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Which Accu trigger model, and by tuned do you mean just adjusting the spring? And is this a stock action or tuned ?
The Accu trigger by design blocks the sear from fully disengaging if there is a trigger problem. I would tear that bolt apart, if it is not staying cocked something is wrong there first, and inspect the upper part of the sear and pin.

Now that I think about it if the spring was broke it may not hold the firing pin in place when cocking and it wouldn't put the pressure on the sear making it touchy because of lack of resistance.
Well wadda ya know. All I did was type the letters B-I-G-N-G-R-E-E-N, and you showed up out of thin air............Are you majic,or just part elk?......
Now if Liltank shows up out of thin air Im gonna think that Im majic. hahaha

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Well wadda ya know. All I did was type the letters B-I-G-N-G-R-E-E-N, and you showed up out of thin air............Are you majic,or just part elk?......
Now if Liltank shows up out of thin air Im gonna think that Im majic. hahaha
We'll have to call you the Forum Whisperer

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
We'll have to call you the Forum Whisperer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
Sweet! I guess Im good for something afterall hahahahahaha