Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage 112 barrel question (action length?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Chris,

I just bought a 12fvss in 300WSM (26" fluted barrel). (gun broker)

I've always wanted to play with the WSM and the .30 will be a good one to play with. I figure I'll stiffen up the stock, lighten up the trigger and attempt to wear the barrel out this winter/spring.

Then I'll re-barrel with something that will really stand up to a lot of shooting (maybe even a straight old 308 Win).

I'll get a tactical stock to make it feel a bit like my 338AM from a feel perspective and be able to get into 'shooting shape' again.

Its amazing how important trigger time is, and I purchased this rifle with that in mind. I got the 12, because the accu-trigger on the varmint is supposed to go down to 1 1/2 lbs.

Thanks for the info, now I just need to find some good articles on what it takes to swap calibers (bolt heads/barrels).

Thanks again,

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

AJ get a hold of fred at sharp shooters supply he is the guru smith for the savages he can anser any question about savages and a nice guy to deal with
i put together MODEL 12 bvss in 308 win in a russo a5 laminate stock for the same reason you want! alot of trigger time cheap to shoot. as i put my first 300 rum true long range rig together

JIM
Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

stock

i just ordered a stockade tactical stock for my 338 edge/savage build that Kirby will be doing for me. nice thing about the stock is, i purchased a money saver out of mold stock which requires sanding. filling and painting. since i like tinkering, it saved me $130.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

AJ,
I dont know if this is what your interested in, but since I was out getting some trigger time with my 12 in .308 I decided to measure the longest COL that could be ejected. The closest I can figure is 3.13 which is around .17 or so shorter than SAMMI length for a 6.5x284. It appears that a relief could be milled into the front of the ejection port that could give you more length to eject longer rounds.(kinda like on a stiller predator) I dont know how much you could gain by shortening the bolt stop, but it appears that you could gain enough with that relief cut and shortening the bolt stop to eject a sammi length 284 based round.( I dont know how feasible that relief cut would be, but I have seen rem 700s with that same modicication)
Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Eddybo,

It would be nice to have a complete list of what cartridges would eject empties from a SA

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Bronze Member

Since you plan on rebarreling anyway, why not just buy the long action in any non-magnum caliber and be able to eject anything you want frrom 308 to longer calibers,,,they aso work fine with short cases.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSmitty01 View Post
Since you plan on rebarreling anyway, why not just buy the long action in any non-magnum caliber and be able to eject anything you want frrom 308 to longer calibers,,,they aso work fine with short cases.
I might end up doing that as well. I found a good deal on a 300wsm and since it is one of the calibers I've been wanting to play around with, I just bought it.

You know how buying rifles goes, you like the idea of something and before you know it, you need another gun safe ;-)

Thanks,
AJ