Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage 112 barrel question (action length?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Savage 112 barrel question (action length?)

Guys,

I see that Shilen and others sell all sorts of barrels for the savage. Lets say I had a short action savage (308) and wanted to put a barrel on it that was a long action (same bolt face, like the 30-06, 280 Rem etc.). If I where using it single shot and didn't mind pulling the bolt to unload a loaded round, would this work? Or am I missing something?

As far as bolt faces are concerned, I'm just looking at a shell-holder chart and assuming if they use the same reloading shell holder, then they have the same bolt face (am I OK with that assumption?)

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

try asking your question here:
Savage Shooters

They can help as well as using the search for old post.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRstretch View Post
try asking your question here:
Savage Shooters

They can help as well as using the search for old post.
Thanks, didn't know that existed (and didn't think about looking elsewhere, as I'm on this site so often).

Thanks
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

AJ-

The answer to your question is yes, you can use a short action with a 284 case. As you have already guessed, if you load heavy bullets you may have problems unloading live rounds (not a big issue with a single shot). Additionally, you can shorten you bolt stop to give yourself a little more clearance.

TAC
Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
AJ-

The answer to your question is yes, you can use a short action with a 284 case. As you have already guessed, if you load heavy bullets you may have problems unloading live rounds (not a big issue with a single shot). Additionally, you can shorten you bolt stop to give yourself a little more clearance.

TAC
TAC,

Thanks for the info. Specifically, I'm thinking about picking up a 300WSM savage. I'll probably turn it into a single shot and wanted to know if I would be limited to only SA rounds (I guess the answer is no). Also, I've done some more reading and I guess the bolt face is easily swapped out as well?? Is that done easily without need of special tools?

Thanks,
AJ

Old 10-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

AJ

A few things to keep in mind with a project like this.

1) Savage has two different thread sizes out there, be sure you order the right size for the reciever you have. If your getting a newer WSM it should be a large shank, as are most, but they did make some of the earlier ones with the small barrel shank.

2)If you have a push feed action you can not simply switch to a controled feed (WSM) bolt head. You will wind up without and ejector. Push feeds have the ejector in the bolt head where as the controled feed have a mechanical tab that pops up on the back left inside of the action when the bolt is cycled, this kicks out the empty case.

I don't think you can go the other way either. The controled feed bolt heads have a slot machined into the bottom left side. This allows the aforementioned ejector tab to pop up without binding on the bolt head. Even if it is possible to go controled feed to push feed, you will wind up with what amounts to two ejectors in your action. When you use the .473 bolt head I'm not sure if the controlled feed ejector will interfere or not, but if it does it could be easily removed. (part of trigger hanger assembly)

Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Just trying to help you avoid some pitfals I've experienced.

P.S. Not 100% certain of all the above, but would highly recommend checking with a competent smith before getting rolling.

Chris
Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

AJ

Did some double checking on the Savages I've got. Both controlled feed bolt heads I have do have the slot in the bottom to allow the ejector to work. Still may work but I honestly don't know for sure.

Quote:
Specifically, I'm thinking about picking up a 300WSM savage
If this is the round you want to do in a single shot, all is not lost.

First get a Savage with the large barrel shank that has a push feed bolt in it. A small shank will work but some barrel makers are uncomfortable chambering a WSM on a small shank.

Second pick up a magnum push feed bolt head from Midway or wherever. You'll need a little smith work for this next step.

The back of the shaft on a Savage SA bolt head had a small indent milled into it to fit around a tab on the inside of the bolt body. The magnum bolt head does not have this indent and will not fit into the bolt body until the indent is put in. I had Chris Mattews do one like this for a Savage Striker that I converted from a 22-250 to a 6.5 wssm in single shot. It was under $75 for bolt head, shipping, and labor. It will eject WSM/SAUM case just fine, however with the wssm cases it's not real reliable, cases are just to darn short.

With the above done you have the original .473 bolt head and a .532 bolt head, with those two you have about 80% of the centerfire cartridges out there covered. Could also add a .378 bolt head and reall expand your options.

Chris