Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage 111 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Savage 111 build

I just purchased a Savage 111 in 7mm rem mag. My intentions are to build a 6.5-284 with a 24-26" finished barrel with fluting and a muzzle brake. I would like to get a barrel finished and chambered delivered to me instead of shipping the action out to a barrel manufacturer or gunsmith where I could install on the action and head space myself. It is my understanding that with the savage barrel nut this is possible to get a built barrel with the proper threads and chambered and i could install it no more machining necessary. Is this true or do I need to ship the rifle out regardless? And any suggestions on Barrel Manufactures/Gunsmiths are welcomed.

Thanks,
Vic
Old 10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 build

You are correct. You can do it yourself with the proper tools. You'll need a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench(or barrel vise), and a set of GO and NO-GO headspace gauges for the caliber you wish to use.

Heres a link to some detailed instruections that can help:

Western Shooter Blog Archive How to Build or Rebarrel a Savage Rifle

-FYI, the guy says in step #20 the NO-GO isnt needed, but for a first timer it SHOULD be used so you know exactly how it should feel. He also says the shim he uses to replace a NOGO gauge is .001-.002" thick, which is also incorrect. The difference between the GO and NOGO is .004", so that should be the thickness of your shim if you choose this route(bout the thickness of a pc or two of scotch tape).

-At the bottom of this link there is also links to Midway and a few others.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
You are correct. You can do it yourself with the proper tools. You'll need a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench(or barrel vise), and a set of GO and NO-GO headspace gauges for the caliber you wish to use.

Heres a link to some detailed instruections that can help:

Western Shooter Blog Archive How to Build or Rebarrel a Savage Rifle

-FYI, the guy says in step #20 the NO-GO isnt needed, but for a first timer it SHOULD be used so you know exactly how it should feel. He also says the shim he uses to replace a NOGO gauge is .001-.002" thick, which is also incorrect. The difference between the GO and NOGO is .004", so that should be the thickness of your shim if you choose this route(bout the thickness of a pc or two of scotch tape).

-At the bottom of this link there is also links to Midway and a few others.
which barrel manufacturer could build me a quality barrel complete that is a direct replacement? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is a complete ready to go barrel between chambered short and long.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

All the manufacturers will sell you a complete barrel, but if wait time is an issue then Shilen, McGowen, Lothar Walther, and maybe others build pre-fit barrels that are already finished and ready to be shipped.

Go over to Savageshooters.com and look in the vendore classifieds section, under "Northland Shooters Supply". Jim is one of the nicest guys to deal with, and wont hang up the phone till he is confident you are getting exactly what you're looking for. He sells McGowen and Shilen.

Northland Shooters Supply

BTW, Be sure to replace the factory recoil lug with a trued precision lug from either Northland or from SSS.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
All the manufacturers will sell you a complete barrel, but if wait time is an issue then Shilen, McGowen, Lothar Walther, and maybe others build pre-fit barrels that are already finished and ready to be shipped.

Go over to Savageshooters.com and look in the vendore classifieds section, under "Northland Shooters Supply". Jim is one of the nicest guys to deal with, and wont hang up the phone till he is confident you are getting exactly what you're looking for. He sells McGowen and Shilen.

Northland Shooters Supply

BTW, Be sure to replace the factory recoil lug with a trued precision lug from either Northland or from SSS.
I agree. I've dealt with Jim a couple times. Great to do business with.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

You will also have to change out the bolt face to go from a 7 mag to a 6.5-284. A 264 win mag would save this step, I don't know if you are interested in this cartridge but it does have the same bolt face.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shoot View Post
You will also have to change out the bolt face to go from a 7 mag to a 6.5-284. A 264 win mag would save this step, I don't know if you are interested in this cartridge but it does have the same bolt face.
I'm aware of this but bolt faces are cheap. but i also think i have to change firing pin assembly. I will research the round. thank you