Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Savage 111 7mm rem mag customization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 7mm rem mag customization

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
If you are getting a Pre-Fit barrel Already WITH brake, then it will need to be a radial brake similar to a Vais. Be advised if you do any prone type shooting, they tend to kick up a LOT of debris.

Have fun,
Gary
Not all radial MBs are created equal. Here's Holland's radial baffle quick discharge muzzle brake ( Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply )
and you can shoot them in prone position.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 07-15-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

I am behind the time a bit, Thank you for that!

Gary
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Not all radial MBs are created equal. Here's Holland's radial baffle quick discharge muzzle brake ( Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply )
and you can shoot them in prone position.

‪Holland Radial Muzzle Brake #1‬‏ - YouTube
Feenix, I believe diriel is referring to the muzzle brakes that don't need timing; like
the ones that look the same regardless of its position, and yes, they do pick up a lot
of garbage when you shoot them from prone. The one your showing above has to be
timed and only one position is acceptable. That one (just like the one I have on my
Edge) do pretty good.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,

I understand what you're saying, all I was trying to point out is that, most often when the terminology "radial" is used with muzzle brakes, it's commonly associated with strategically drilled holes all around such as compared with the vais ... and as you can see Darrell Holland and other gunsmiths/MB designers are also associating radial to their designs.

Taken from a patent website >>> A muzzle brake is a cylinder with at least one opening "radially" disposed from a central bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
If you are getting a Pre-Fit barrel Already WITH brake, then it will need to be a radial brake similar to a Vais. Be advised if you do any prone type shooting, they tend to kick up a LOT of debris.

Have fun,
Gary
Having said, there are non-vais type MBs that do not require a gunsmith to index it. A friend has a Roedale on his .308.

Roedale Precision WebShop - Muzzle Brakes

Similarly ...

http://shop.grizzlygunworks.com/

and

by EBI ARMS (imported by Roedale)

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage 111 7mm rem mag customization-roedale-mb.jpg  

Last edited by FEENIX; 07-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Lots of semantics and word play going on here.

There's term "radial" which is describing the spacing and location of the gas ports as well as "radial" which is part of the name of Holland's brake. It's given the name because of the radial shape of baffles directing the gasses.

In my opinion the patent definition you quoted applies to the Vais/Radial style brakes not Mr. Holland's.

Then there are the terms "timed" and "indexed". In my book they mean the same thing. Brakes that have ports that are "radially" spaced do not need to be "timed/indexed". All others need to be. The ones that do need to be fixed to stay "timed/indexed". That can be done be being fitted against a shoulder(most common method) or by set screws, clamps, jam nuts, or some other sort.

I just wanted to make sure we were all speaking the same language and supplied my meanings when I use those terms.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Lots of semantics and word play going on here.

There's term "radial" which is describing the spacing and location of the gas ports as well as "radial" which is part of the name of Holland's brake. It's given the name because of the radial shape of baffles directing the gasses.

In my opinion the patent definition you quoted applies to the Vais/Radial style brakes not Mr. Holland's.

Then there are the terms "timed" and "indexed". In my book they mean the same thing. Brakes that have ports that are "radially" spaced do not need to be "timed/indexed". All others need to be. The ones that do need to be fixed to stay "timed/indexed". That can be done be being fitted against a shoulder(most common method) or by set screws, clamps, jam nuts, or some other sort.

I just wanted to make sure we were all speaking the same language and supplied my meanings when I use those terms.
I totally agree! I found that reference regarding Vais patent application. Thanks for your clarification, esp. the fact that it does not "need" to be a vais type MB when getting a prefit barrel.

In addition to semantics and word play (not on this post), there's confusion between muzzle brake and muzzle break ... just saying.

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post

In addition to semantics and word play (not on this post), there's confusion between muzzle brake and muzzle break ... just saying.

Thanks again.
That one really gets me. Not so much from the average Joe, but it really gets me going when I see it written that way from the smith or manufacturer that wants me to buy one from them.

btw...I just bought a very nice brake on Ebay for $19 shipped. It was threaded standard 5/8"-24. Fit on my prefit E.R. Shaw 308 perfectly.