Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

sako extractor on rem bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

sako extractor on rem bolt

I am thinking about rebarreling my remington 3006 to a 7 rem mag. I was speaking to a gunsmith about it and he wasn't that keen on the idea because he had heard about problems with the sako extractor coming off and hitting the shooter.
He was saying that the rotating sleeve on a sako bolt is to block a gap that stops the extractor on a sako bolt coming back and hitting the shooter.
Anyone else heard of this problem?

Stu.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

if you can generate the pressure that it would take to get the Sako extractor out of the bolt and hit you then their gonna identify your body by figer prints !!

i have heard of extractors comming out or loose that were poorly fitted but I've never herad of anybody getting hit with one.

Alot of smiths don't like to use them cause its kind of pain to install them correctly.

Ask around and see what its gonna cost you to have a Sako extractor installed , if its more than $100 (more than likely) then just buy a bolt from PT&G with has the extractor cut already fitted , this way you will be getting a better bolt thats already true , has the Sako extractor and you will have the benifit of a bolt that fits the action better ,like having it sleved all for around $200 with having the handel welded on and extractor installed , then you can easly sell your factroy bolt of $125.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Sako Extractor

I had one done by Hart. Works like new. The gun was a 280 rem, then a 300 win mag, now I am changing it to a 264 win mag.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

Ditto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
if you can generate the pressure that it would take to get the Sako extractor out of the bolt and hit you then their gonna identify your body by figer prints !!

i have heard of extractors comming out or loose that were poorly fitted but I've never herad of anybody getting hit with one.

Alot of smiths don't like to use them cause its kind of pain to install them correctly.

Ask around and see what its gonna cost you to have a Sako extractor installed , if its more than $100 (more than likely) then just buy a bolt from PT&G with has the extractor cut already fitted , this way you will be getting a better bolt thats already true , has the Sako extractor and you will have the benifit of a bolt that fits the action better ,like having it sleved all for around $200 with having the handel welded on and extractor installed , then you can easly sell your factroy bolt of $125.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Kiwi, the Sako extractor is sort of a pain to install, but if fitted correctly, it works fine and won't fly out. The spring/plunger hole will make you sweat while you're drilling it, but the plunger itself holds the extractor in place securely. There is a tendency to rotate the extractor cut away from the locking lug, but in fact it has to be located at the base of the lug, or fired cases will try to eject too high and may hit the scope (or a windage knob) and bounce back into the ejection port. The factory extractor is aligned with the bottom locking lug and will cause ejection to be nearly horizontal. The Sako extractor at its best location still ejects at about 45 degrees above horizontal. I agree with your 'smith that I don't want to do one, but they do work fine.

Good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 08-20-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

More Detals Please

I've heard of this modification and I'm considering it for a cutom build that I am having done. What advantages do you gain from adding the Sako extractor?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

mcmurry , you get a better bit on the rim of the case with a stronger piece of steel rather than the dinky stamped unit that Remington offers , its just a stronger more robust extraction method. I actualy like the extractor on Savages better than the Remington.

The next step up would be the M-16 style extractor which is better than the Sako (imo) and is also pinned in place , they generaly don't take as big of a bite on the case but they are very strong.

I find it odd that Remington is getting a premium for their rifles that they haven't improved on in decades and their QC is slipping as well as their componets yet a "cheaper" "bargin" rilfe like the Howa or Weatherby Vanguard has a better bolt system all the way around , stiffer action yet cost a good bit less.
I hate to say it but I guess thats the price of buying american now days.