Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

safeties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
JE,, are you talking about a "Winchester" type safety?
Yes . it is a side swing style 3 position that is part of the shroud. they are made to work on a
700 rem action.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM
SPONSOR

Those "Winchester Style " conversion kits, made for the 700, won't work for a Big Horn. The bolt shroud thread on a 700 is 1/2"-13, on the Big Horn it's 1/2"-20. As for the OPs' problem with the safety lever, well, I've never heard anyone else complain about it. If there was any discussion or complaint at all, it was "trigger block safety verses firing pin block", and a "tang" style safety is a "trigger block" safety. "Has anyone tried it?",,,,,, a hobbiest might have time, but a full time 'smith,,,,,,,, no. Of course, with enough $$$$$$ (and notice I put 5 $ there) anything is possible!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

i could care less about trigger vs pin block. obviously the pin block is "safer". but that is not my discrepancy. the location and tallness is what i dont like. i think a tang safety is the best place for a safety. 1. a savage style pretty much cannot get knocked off, and a shotgun style is hard pressed to either. 2. it is the fastest safety system ever (ideal for timed tac. matches, quick shots on near or running game, or dangerous game!) this is why shotguns have them. those are just my opinions, feel free to disagree. i just cant imagine it being to hard to do a tang trigger safety. albeit all completely custom proprietary parts. but simple enough in theory. thanx for the tidbit bout the winchester style conversions. i did not know that about the threads.