Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

safeties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

safeties

ok i have a question for the smiths. first, i hate the standard remmy style 2 position safety. now the question. i am looking at a big horn action, is there anyway to "re-do" a safety? like a tang or something else? thank you
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
SPONSOR

Re: safeties

The Big Horn has a Rem. 700 trigger hanger, that's what it'll take. What's wrong with the 2 position safety?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

i don't like how out in the open they are. to easy to accidentally knock off. obviously one should never rely on their safety, but i would just prefer a tang safety or a winchester style. i wouldn't even mind if it were a little more low profile like a cz or tikka, but the remmy style is like a light switch!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

has anyone tried one offing a tang safety using the standard remmy trigger safety but replacing the lever with an angled one going to a tang slide?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta333 View Post
ok i have a question for the smiths. first, i hate the standard remmy style 2 position safety. now the question. i am looking at a big horn action, is there anyway to "re-do" a safety? like a tang or something else? thank you

PT&G makes a bolt safety that locks the firing pin that can be used in conjunction with the
Rem Safety or independent of it.

You need to buy the firing pin and bolt safety together if you don't have a good smith to fit it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 AM
SPONSOR

JE,, are you talking about a "Winchester" type safety?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

In the original post yes i was referring to a winchester style. But in the most recent post im asking.if anyone has tried to replace.the factory safety lever with one that is angled and never sticks.up out of the stock.amd instead.travels.rearward to a one offed sliding tang button? Anyone.tried.it? Was that clear enough or no?