close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Safe to polish a stainless steel slide?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Safe to polish a stainless steel slide?

I've got a pistol with a stainless steel slide that has some holster rub marks and a (small, light) scratch. I've was thinking of selling it and wanted to try to spruce it up a bit without the wrapping up the time/money in a refinish. I know they make all kinds of rubbing compounds and stainless steel polishes, but wasn't sure if it would cause more damage than good. I'm pretty certain that I can't be the first person to want to try this, anybody got some advice, or words of warning?
    Unread 08-29-2011, 06:10 AM
    SPONSOR

Re: Safe to polish a stainless steel slide?

I've seen plenty of firearms ruined by improper polishing technique/practice. Proper polishing is a skill, that's why it costs to have it done.

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:16 AM
    Platinum Member

Re: Safe to polish a stainless steel slide?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
    I've seen plenty of firearms ruined by improper polishing technique/practice. Proper polishing is a skill, that's why it costs to have it done.
    +1

The safest way to dress up your pistol is to bead blast it. (Not sand blast).

Bead Blasting will give it a low luster and hide any scratches without removing any
    metal.

Just a suggestion.

J E CUSTOM