Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Ruger M77 Mark 2 free floating job gone bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM

Ruger M77 Mark 2 free floating job gone bad

I recently free floated the barrel on a ruger M77 Mark 2 and it seems to have made it shoot way worse than before. Im having a hard time finding a factory replacement stock that isnt free floated like the original stock. Does anyone have any ideas on what might help restore the accuracy that it had?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ruger M77 Mark 2 free floating job gone bad

Action bedding job. Nothing wrong with free floating the barrel. How skinny is the barrel ? If you have a sporter, you may need to hand load to find the right vibration node. Are you shooting factory ammo ?

Your result could simply be from the difference in how you go about putting the action back in the stock. You did seat the recoil lug against the stock before you (fully) tightened the action screws, did you not ?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 PM

It does have a sporter barrel and I have been hand loading for it. Its a 270 Win and I tried some berger 130 grain hybrid hunters and 130 grain sierra game kings. I can get them both to shoot a 3/4 to 7/8 inch group with a 3 shot group but the next day when I go back to the range to shoot a 5 shot group to make sure the load is good it will shoot a 3 inch group. I recently order a wheeler fat wrench for the action screws but it hasnt arrived yet. I have tried H4350 and H4831 with CCI Br-2 primers and both give me the same results.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

One other thing you can try is to place a small bit of bedding where the tip pressure on the stock was
and install the barreled action and give it time to cure. It should end up being about the size of a
quarter.

What this does is dampen the light barrels with out placing upward pressure on the barrel.

It still allows the barrel to grow when heated and seems to work on some barrels and ammo.

I found out it really works on the Accumarks (Big calibers and small barrels.

For many years bench rest shooters have installed forearm screws to "Tune" there barrels.

Try this trick before you buy a new stock.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

If you have not bedded the action, you need to do it. Lightweight barreled actions are hard on the bedding and need every bit of damping that they can get since the barrels are so whippy to begin with.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with westcliffe01
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Is the Ruger one of those with the flat action ? I'm trying to think which are similar ? I know my TC Icon is also flat on the bottom.

OK, found a picture

Based on the image above, it looks like a 3 pillar bedding job would be the best. The recoil lug does not look very big, so I would recommend either chopped fiberglass or carbon fiber as filler in that area. You want something really strong and hard.