Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Ruger 77 tang safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Ruger 77 tang safety

I have a older ruger 77 tang safety in 7mm rem mag, and i was told that i could re barrel it with a winchester model 70 barrel, that they are the same size and thread pattern, has anybody else heard this or done it?

Thanks
David F
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Ruger 77 tang safety

Same thread. Length of the tenon will be different. Why would you want to!?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

That wouldn't be very safe.. Same threads but winchesters have several diff thread extensions. If the model 70 barrel was made for a pre 64 has extractor cut,post64 does not.

But to be clear the headspace world not be correct most likely. I doubt the cost of a barrel job is worth more than your face and fingers..
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

The reason i was asking is i want to move up to a 26 inch 7mm barrel and can't afford a new barrel, and its darn tuff to found a use 26 inch barrel for the ruger 77.

Thanks
David F.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
SPONSOR

Just save for a new barrel! It makes no sense to install a factory barrel. IMO,,, it's money wasted that could'a/should'a been saved for a barrel that'll shoot as you want it to and be the length that you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM

I have the same rifle, and wasnt happy with how it shot either. But I really liked the rifle and decided to rebarrel it. Im not a rich guy either and had to save my "allowance" till I could afford the job, but all said and done, It was well worth it. I cant (wont) sell the rifle now, as I'll never get my money back out of it, but I know what I have , and am happy with it.
I got a McGowan , 1 in 9 twist, no. 3 contour, Chrome Moly barrel. Its a little heavy but I wasnt making a Mountain hunting rifle.
cheers
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

Idid one last year in 243with a hart bull barrel in stainlees steel for six. and shoot even better than it did before i wore the barrel out wouldnt sell it cause my dad had give it to me and has sentamintal value