Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rifle Stock Build Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle Stock Build Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
Tough break.

I think it's like concrete. What really holds the strength is the rebar/fiber.
Well there's no doubt it was harder. But too hard = brittle. So... I'm just going to take my time
And wrap it like I was doing... shouldn't take long
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

I commend you for the effort. No doubt you could improve if you were to repeat the exercise several times.

This is excellent advertising for HS Precision by the way.

I was concerned about spending $500 for a stock. But, I'm now convinced it's well worth it.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks and good luck!
Richard
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
I commend you for the effort. No doubt you could improve if you were to repeat the exercise several times.

This is excellent advertising for HS Precision by the way.

I was concerned about spending $500 for a stock. But, I'm now convinced it's well worth it.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks and good luck!
Richard

I will say that I found an HS Precision that was just over $300 that I liked. If you have the money... go for it. I would much rather have a company's warranty as well. But...

why the hell not? I'm out less than $70 at this point, and I know for a fact this thing is going to be solid as a rock when I'm down and conformed to my exact preferences. So... we'll see!

Thanks for the boost!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

Okay, so after the poured resin failed on me I continued to do what I had been doing this whole time and wrap the rest of the stock layer by layer. As of today I have the entire bulk laid and hardened. All that I have to do now is sand smooth and router the edges, barrel channel, and the cut out for the action. But, the fiberglassing is over. It's just touch up work. I'm hoping to have it fine-sanded, routed and painted by the end of next week. Will post pictures soon.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

PICS UPDATE

I'm still a ways away from finishing as I still need to do some router work; and I notice some air pockets that crept up on me that I need to fill up. But, so far... here is how it's coming along...I think I'm going to put a cove bit down the sides of the forend to give it some comfortable grip for the fingers, and I might carve some accented fingergrips on the triggergrip. We'll see! I'll post more as it comes long