Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rifle Stock Build Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle Stock Build Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
Two piece aluminumm never crossed my mind. Now that you mention it, I'd rivet them together vs bolts. I think I'd try a farely light chassis. Maybe milled/drilled/filed action piece riveted to a lighter fore piece, and riveted light butt.
The rivet idea literally crossed my mind today Haha. I have the first coat of resin down. Ill check on it tomorrow and see how it holds up. I can already tell its heavy. I already want to make a second one out of aluminum. A good friend of mine is a plastics engineer so I'm discussing other high strength low weight options. I can honestly say that this has been a worthwhile venture already
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

BigDaddyKane,

I like your thinking...... A true pioneer! In addition to the enjoyment you may well become aware of something that no one else has.

Keep us posted..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
BigDaddyKane,

I like your thinking...... A true pioneer! In addition to the enjoyment you may well become aware of something that no one else has.

Keep us posted..
Thanks for the compliments. Again, I'm no expert. But I definitely know enough to produce something of quality. The prototype is definitely heavy... but she's solid. I have no hesitations about this thing's strength. But the next build I think I'm going to go for efficiency.... high strength low weight. Most likely Aluminum framing with fiberglass, or some lightweight resin/plastics compound that will be rigid yet light and inexpensive. But so far I have to admit... I'm only out about $75. Hell I'll give it a try for that much haha.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Fiberglass & Cutout Update

Here's where I'm at. Cut out for the magazine and the trigger assembly, and drilled holes for the action screws. Keep in mind the large cut out will get filled with fiberglass as well and then routed out to the EXACT fitting.

You can see with the fiberglass so far that it's pretty rough. But... I have the basic set up for the buttstock complete. I need to do a few more layers of resin and matting. But, now I can start to continue to wrap the fiberglass up through the trigger handle and through the fore end of the stock. I'll post some more pics up next week.

Sidenote... the fiberglass is extremely firm and rigid. It's rough to work with and sort of a hassle, but once you get the hang of it's really not that difficult. It sands nicely and will be more than durable enough for the project.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Wow..I can't wait to see it finished.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Wow..I can't wait to see it finished.

Yeah I can't either. It's a very slow process but then again I'm only working on it an hour or two a day. We'll see!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Okay here are a few closeups of the buttstock being sanded down. You can see there are some pits in the finish, the fiberglass isn't exactly a thick putty, it's pretty liquidy so it's tough to fill everything perfectly. So... a few more layers until it's smooth. But it's coming along. Tonight I'll extract the action bolts off the piece and get the exact size pillars from the hardware store. Tomorrow I'll line those up and start filling the fore end as well.

At least you can get an idea of how it's going to look.