Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rifle builder that lets you build you're own rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle builder that lets you build you're own rifle

After rewatching the video it does look like he lets them drive the lathe a little. I used to let the kids sit on my lap on a straight piece of road and let them hold the wheel. In their mind they were "driving" too.

There is no way I would let a first timer drive picking up a thread and single pointing action threads.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

There is no way I would let a first timer drive picking up a thread and single pointing action threads.[/QUOTE]

+1
That is one of the most difficult and risky processes and could lead to a catastrophic mishap
also fitting the action threads perfectly is very critical to the process of accuracy.

My lathe has an emergency stop that will stop everything almost instantaneously and it has
saved me and the work more than once. (I'm Sorry to say).

Many other things are just as important but this one could ruin a barrel tenon and lead to
rework.

That the reason he appears to furnish pre threaded barrels.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

In the gunsmithing class video, he's right behind a guy who is turning the barrel tenon. However, in the next segment the guy is trying the receiver on the threaded tenon. I thought I saw something about pre-threaded barrels too, but this one wasn't. Gradous must be turning the threads himself on the 'smithing class rifles.

In the chambering operation, he probably has a reamer stop on the feed.

The same guy is parting off the muzzle end, and appears to be starting a crown, with Gradous's hand on the crossfeed.

I don't know if what they're allowed to do themselves is worth $1000 extra, but it must be to some.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time