Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rifle builder that lets you build you're own rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle builder that lets you build you're own rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Sully, I agree with you, because no way I could afford that kind of money. But if you start out with a $1000 custom action, $500 fluted top-line barrel, $225 trigger, $350 floor metal, $120 muzzle brake and a $500-$1000 stock, you're there, without bases, rings and a good scope. Add those in and you're at $4000 (or more).

My speed is a donor Weatherby, Remington, Mauser, Winchester, or Savage action, unfluted Lilja barrel, tuned factory trigger, stock floor metal, Shuler brake, and a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock. Add $75 for Weaver Grand Slam steel bases with Burris Signature Zee rings and you're still under $1200. With a decent scope, $1500. With these parts, a well-built rifle can be a no frills sub-1/2 moa shooter for around $2200. If you prefer wood, for $350 more you can upgrade to a laminate or walnut Accurate Innovations stock. Still under $2600.
This approach isn't for everyone, so for the guys that can afford a high-dollar rifle, power to them, and to the people who build (or help them) build it.

Got long-winded again.....Sorry, old guys do that.

Tom

First off one doesnt have to start out with some $1000 action! I purchased my stainless M700 from some fellas that advertise over on the 6mm board and it was $600...fully reworked and blue printed..the chambered and fitted barrel cost me another $400. I bought a SST Brux barrel...so regardless of the caliber Id still have that $1000 in a stainless barreled rifle. Bottom metal was bought...brand new...from E-bay for $75. Stock was a factory new..never used laminated wood stock (Remington factory stock) from Ebay and it was a little less than $75. It carrys an EGW rail and Leupold QD rings bought from Optics Planet and the Nikon scope on it was about $275 from Ebay.

All bolted together and with factory 25-06 ammo ( Not AI ammo) it shoots 2 shots touching and the 3rd about 3/16 away at 100 yards.

For the difference in $$...take a guess which one Id rather have!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
Lowlight did a review of Gradous and the process. It's published on snipers hide. I'm thinking it would be interesting to most guys but once they saw what it took would elect to save their time and money and just have it done. Especially if you crashed the lathe, wrecked an action or barrel. All it takes is one turn of a handle the wrong direction or a split second late. Kind of takes the fun out of doing it yourself. I doubt a novice gets to do much more than watch and stir epoxy.

Reminds me of a sign I saw that went something like this.

Labor rate:
$50 per hour
$75 if you watch
$100 if you help

My hat's off to Gradous. When we have visitors our production goes to a crawl due to having to reply to every question or suggestion.
Exactly what I was thinking . Who takes the blame if a barrel gets ruined etc ?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
First off one doesnt have to start out with some $1000 action! I purchased my stainless M700 from some fellas that advertise over on the 6mm board and it was $600...fully reworked and blue printed..
Robert Gradous won't use a 700 action.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

What's the OP's verdict?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Robert Gradous won't use a 700 action.
OH! One of THOSE huh...Nuff said
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
LL!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What is one of those?