Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rifle bore imperfections

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle bore imperfections

With a $7 flashlight fiber optic adapter
NITE IZE Adapter, Fiber Optic, AA - Flashlight Accessories - 5XR78|FPO-07-AA20 - Grainger Industrial Supply
I don't think they make them any more, but a few are still in stock in a few places.

I can see the last 1" of the bore very well with a magnifier.

I grade barrels, and the A+ goes to those that are factory honed.

Last month a built three rifles with Shilen stainless barrels that were factory lapped.
I ran out of time and just had to buy what Brownells had in stock and could not wait 3 months for barrel man.

The "select match" barrel was A+ as expected, but the two "match" barrels were not.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Wow feenix great post. Yeah my remington looked alot like that one with the tooling chatter and even the flat spot in the rifling. Mine might of been a bit worse but i have a lil over a thousand rounds through mine. I think i may seriously re-barrel my rifle with a lilja barrel when the time comes. That thing looked NICE!!!
You will not be disappointed with Lilja barrels. I am very please with my 30" SS, 3-groove, 1:8 in my .270 AI.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

When you buy a barrel from lilja, how much machine work is left to be done before it can be fitted to the rifle. Im under the impression it only needs to be crowned threaded and chambered?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
When you buy a barrel from lilja, how much machine work is left to be done before it can be fitted to the rifle. Im under the impression it only needs to be crowned threaded and chambered?
Yep pretty much but the same is true for other barrel makers ... but of course the action and barrel must be squared accordingly together.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.