Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

richards micro fit gun stocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Bronze Member

richards micro fit gun stocks?

Does anybody have any expirience with this company. If so how was fit and finish of the stocks?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: richards micro fit gun stocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
Does anybody have any expirience with this company. If so how was fit and finish of the stocks?
A quick search would have told you alot. But, here is one link: Opinions for Richards Microfit Stocks
Old 11-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

I bought a laminate stock that was rough finished for a Winchester M70 WSSM action. I was dissapointed in the inlet job as it wasn't really close at all. I was supposed to be a drop in fit but needed major fitting and then a full action bedding to correct the problems. It took me a while (I'm no pro and did this in my spare time) but after I was done it worked out well. There are much better finished or semi finished stocks out there for the more common rifles,

The only reason I used them in the first place was because nobody else made a stock for the WSSM action and I had to get it out of the tupperware stock it was in in order for it to shoot.

Just my experience, others may have had better luck.

Dan
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM
SPONSOR

Pre-inletted stocks, like Richards', are intended to be finish inletted by the customer. Some also require some shaping on the outside. You won't find many that are "drop-in". If that's what you want (drop-in) look else where. Even for a pre-inlet that will require finish inletting and finish shaping (I don't want a "drop-in"!), I don't even consider Richards. They're full of 'problems' most stock makers don't want to deal with. Don't be wowed by their pretty pictures.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM

I have several. They are great stocks for what they are: inexpensive laminates that will last for years with the proper preparation. No matter what anyone says, they are not "drop-in" by any means. They will require several hours of sanding and possibly some chisel work to complete inletting. I highly recommend bedding after completing your sanding and chiseling. I use Devcon.

I will also use Duracoat or a marine grade poly to finish the stock.

Your reward for all of your hard work is a semi custom stock that hopefully fits you just a little bit better and some pennies in the bank for your next project.

FYI, I have sanded, sealed/painted and bedded these stocks in as little as 3.5 hours and as many as 15 hours. Your first one will take longer. Poly will add some hours. Inletting will add some if required, but I have never spent more that hour getting my inletting correct. Mostly because I'm going to bed anyway, so removing a little extra is not a big deal.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

For starters their customer service is terrible!! Then when the stock finally gets to you (about 8 mos. later, in my case) you will have to do ALOT of final inletting. Then finish it all.

For my next project I ponied up and spent the money on a Manners and am soooo happy with it I will never go back.

Spend the money up front, get a better product and save yourself a tremendous headache and PITA!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckclimbing View Post
For starters their customer service is terrible!! Then when the stock finally gets to you (about 8 mos. later, in my case) you will have to do ALOT of final inletting. Then finish it all.

For my next project I ponied up and spent the money on a Manners and am soooo happy with it I will never go back.

Spend the money up front, get a better product and save yourself a tremendous headache and PITA!
WOW, you got yours that fast!!! One round with them was enough, the stocks are just junk!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"