Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

removing coating from m70 winchester.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

removing coating from m70 winchester.

I have a model 70 winchester from the early to mid 2000's with a black coating I want to strip off. What is it and what will remove it? I'm looking for a chemical stripper before I try to bead blast it. I would like to keep the winchester logo sharp and the smooth Finnish. I am going to rebarrel it and then cerakote it and don't want the old stuff underneath to maybe cause the cerakote to not stick well.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: removing coating from m70 winchester.

I would blast with aluminum oxide and then Cerakote.
Bead blasting is not recommended as surface prep for Cerakote as it peens the surface instead if etching it.
180 grit will leave a nice even surface that the Cerakote will adhear well to. You can vary the hardener ratio to tweak the gloss level of your finished coating.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: removing coating from m70 winchester.

I would try some of Loctite's "Naval Jelly" Rust Remover. It's designed to remove rust, but it is a great blue remover as well as other lightweight finishes.
If this black coating is too tough to remove, I would try course steel wool, or perhaps a fine-grit sanding sponge from 3M... the sponges "mold" around barrels and receivers, and do a great job - I use them on every finishing job I do.
The Cerakote should stick well to that black coating, especially if you scuff it up a bit, to perhaps the consistency to a parkerized finish, then polish everything smooth after the Cerakota has been applied... But I don't think you'll have a problem removing the factory finish.

You can get the Navel Jelly at most any hardware store, and I have seen it at Lowe's and even some Wal-marts.

Hope this helps! Keep us updated!

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson