Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

remington sps rebuild help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: remington sps rebuild help

I personally like Mcmillan stocks, simply because of the marble pattern. Are they worth an extra $2-300? For the average guy, probably not. Here is my two cents on your issue--it sounds like you plan on using this rifle quite a bit, so get a good stock that will last forever. If you are planning on painting the rifle, don't buy a laminate. If you just want a camo stock, then find a pattern that you like from Bell and Carlson, Manners, Mcmillan, or HS. Mcmillan has "internet specials" on their site, maybe they have one you could use. As far as having a gap in the barrel channel--it will look strange, but it shouldn't hurt anything. Don't worry about all the questions--if someone doesn't like it then they shouldn't be reading it!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

I'm keenly interested in this thread, as I also have a Rem 700 SPS in a stainless barrel (300 WM). I bought it a couple years ago before I started getting interested in long range shooting.

My main application is similar to the original post...mostly elk, but also deer and bear. I'd like to be able to not hesitate on a 600 yd shot and be able to stretch out to 800 if the conditions are right. I'm hoping that the current rifle I have is adequate w/o major upgrade expenses.

Most of the chatter on this thread is about a new stock. What does a new stock buy you? Do they free float the barrel and bed the action? Or is that something else that also needs to be done? Trigger adjust is an easy one.

What else can we do to accurize our SPS in a reasonable cost range?

And...once we do these things will we have an moa rifle (or even better) on our hands?

Thanks in advance for any input to keep this thread going.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

My main reason for replacing a factory stock is to make the rifle "mine". I really don't like straight factory guns. Most likely your barrel will be free floated if you replace the stock. It can be bedded, but it might not be necessary. I think the most important steps in making a factory rifle more accurate are--trigger adjustment and a good scope. Then try different handloads or factory ammo. If it won't shoot, then you can start looking at the stock/bedding and everything else. The reason I say this is I had an SPS in 223, and it shot great with Black Hills ammo. My brother has one in 25-06, it also shoots great with factory ammo.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Look at the varmint laminate stocks @ stockystocks that way you can get a stock
that can be opened up if you decide later to go to a heavy barrel.

I have composit stocks but like the laminated stocks better because of the feel and sound
deadening ,also they don't make noise when walking through brush if you touch something.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM

i looked all over the internet the past few days and i can't seem to find a better deal for what i am looking for than this
Boyds' Jon R. Sundra Classic Riflestock Pepper Gray Laminate Remington 700 ADL, SPS, BDL & CDL - Special Purchase!
so i think this is the route i am gonna go.
as far a s bedding does it really matter what kind. i looked at a couple of styles @ brownells. is their a preference?
later
alan
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hglucky13 View Post
i looked all over the internet the past few days and i can't seem to find a better deal for what i am looking for than this
Boyds' Jon R. Sundra Classic Riflestock Pepper Gray Laminate Remington 700 ADL, SPS, BDL & CDL - Special Purchase!
so i think this is the route i am gonna go.
as far a s bedding does it really matter what kind. i looked at a couple of styles @ brownells. is their a preference?
later
alan

I like the steel bed kit best.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

hglucky13,
If money is a concern, get a Hogue stock w/full bedding block for $200.00 and your ready to go.It has a nice vetical grip, better than a factory stock. The hogue stock also has a nice rubber feel to it which is easy to hold on to if hunting in bad conditions. I have 2 Manners stocks, and think they are great, but I also have a hogue stock on a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA to 600 yards. You could also skim coat the stock w/ Devcon steel puddy, just as an extra step in accuracy. With the money you save , you could get a custom barrel later if needed.

Last edited by trueblue; 12-16-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: change