Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Remington Safty Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington Safty Problem

Thanks again

I dont know if I like this gun enuf to put a jewell on it but if you feal it is safer then the rest? all have to look in to it.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Remington had a recall on these about ten years ago, but if yours has been altered, they probably would not fix it. I like the Rifle Basix triggers also, and the price is reasonable. They are easy to install on a Rem.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Silver Member

I have seen unintentional firing pin drop on several different types of triggers. This is generally due to a lack of proper sear engagement. I installed a Jewell trigger, right from the Jewell factory, and was able to drop the firing pin by slamming the bolt home swiftly. A little more sear engagement solved that problem. Likewise on a few Remmy triggers that had "trigger jobs" performed on them with too little sear engagement. Ditto this for a rifle basix trigger, also right from the factory.

There is nothing wrong with the basic design of the X-mark pro, or old style triggers, provided they have enough sear engagement, and you haven't backed off the pull weight to a level where the spring isn't fully engaged with the trigger.

One test you should do is to cock the weapon, put the safety on, and then pull on the trigger. Now take the safety off and ensure the weapon doesn't fire - repeat 20 times. I also like to check this while its cold outside in addition to making sure the firing pin doesn't drop when the bolt is closed hard.

Last edited by ilscungilli; 12-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nape.270 View Post
Thanks again

I don't know if I like this gun enuf to put a jewell on it but if you feal it is safer then the rest? all have to look in to it.
I do feel they are more safe than others because the Jewell has an extra part in the system
that blocks the sear even when the safety is disengaged.

If you go on line and look at them you will see the difference between them and other triggers.

They have a patent on the design .

I am a big fan of Remington triggers and have had great success with them ,But when I get
one that just will not settle down I replace it with a Jewell.

I also use a lot of Timney on rifles other than Remington (Jewell only makes triggers for
Remington's) and they work fine .

I have used a lot of other triggers and find most are better than a factory trigger.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

Thanks all I guess all have to see what santa brings.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Steve, any idea what the design flaw is with Rem and is it limited to a particular trigger assembly or inherent in other Rem trigger assemblies? I haven't experienced the problem but ya never know.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

I have not had the pleasure of having a smith show me how this is able to happen on the Rems. I would really like to hear from Kirby or one of the other smiths here that know the Rem actions inside and out.

My question would be, do the custom actions on the market that are based on the Rem design have the same potential problem? I am assuming not, but I don't know.

Steve