Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Remington Safty Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Remington Safty Problem

On three different occasions when flipping the safety off on rem 700 it has fired. I can never seam to make it go off when messing with it so farr it seams random.

no my finger was not on the trigger.

yes i had a trigger job dun on it.

its the X-Mark Pro.

just wondering if anyone had experience with this.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Remington Safty Problem

Take it and readjust it. the over travel screw will make them do that if to tight.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

You need one or both of two things.

More sear engagement/overlap and/or more overall trigger weight.

Not cool!

Once you do this ensure the gun is cleared (not loaded) and rack that bolt hard and fast to ensure it doesn't slam fire on you. Better yet, get a leather mallet and whack on the cocking indicator a couple times too. It shouldn't drop the striker and if it does IT AINT RIGHT!

Be safe!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

My father's gun smith showed him a number of years back the inherent problem with Remington safetys. He had his two son's get rid of the Remington's we had and payed for replacements for us. Said that he would never be able to live with himself if we had an accident with a rifle that he had given us. This problem is the source of the lawsuits that Remington has. From what I have been told, Remington will not do anything to correct the design because if they do, it will be like admitting that there is a problem. The cost of re-tooling and paying for being at fault in wrongful death suits is much more than paying to settle lawsuits.

I have tried to talk about this hear in the past and it seems to turn into people getting angry. I have no dog in this fight. I also do not own any Remingtons.

I will be anxious to hear peoples thoughts on this subject.

Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

Thank you all for your help.

Are any of the aftermarket triggers like timmy or rifle basix any better and or safer?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

I've installed a bunch of rifle basics as they were the trigger chosen for the Dakota Arms, Inc. Predator varmint rifle. (I worked for them once)

Not my favorite piece.

I've also done a lot of jewels. They are more expensive for a reason, they work. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
My father's gun smith showed him a number of years back the inherent problem with Remington safetys. He had his two son's get rid of the Remington's we had and payed for replacements for us. Said that he would never be able to live with himself if we had an accident with a rifle that he had given us. This problem is the source of the lawsuits that Remington has. From what I have been told, Remington will not do anything to correct the design because if they do, it will be like admitting that there is a problem. The cost of re-tooling and paying for being at fault in wrongful death suits is much more than paying to settle lawsuits.

I have tried to talk about this hear in the past and it seems to turn into people getting angry. I have no dog in this fight. I also do not own any Remingtons.

I will be anxious to hear peoples thoughts on this subject.

Steve
There are probably more Remington's out there than all of the others combined so there
will be more stories about them than others because there are more of them.

In truth; Any trigger that is set wrong can and will give you problems.

Some times people adjust there trigger and don't under stand the workings of them
and render them unsafe.

Most trigger manufactures will tell you not to adjust the sear engagement because it is preset
and doesn't need adjusting and warn you that if you do it may become unsafe.

Most factory triggers cant be adjusted below 3 or 4 pounds with some loss of dependability
and safety.

For over 50 years I have seen only a handful of triggers that could not be adjusted to improve
them but there is a limit how far to go.

The best thing to do with that trigger is to replace it with a pre-set after market trigger and be
done with it.

Like Chad I prefer the Jewel over all other triggers and they will set it for what you want and
it will be safe.

I consider a person that can do a proper job on a trigger (Hone the sear angle and surface,
place the proper spring in it to land in the middle of the trigger pull range,and set the over
travel properly) an artist. and all most do is turn some screws.

So my vote would be to replace it and be safe. It is to cheep and easy and can save yourself
some grief.

J E CUSTOM