Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Remington Bolt Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 AM

Remington Bolt Lock

I have a newer model Remington 700 that I would like the bolt to lock when on safe, like the older models did. How can I do this is there a part I can buy and replace or is it the trigger asm. that keeps it locked. I’ve had the bolt open up on me before when hunting I prefer it be locked. I know Remington made that change because of a law suite but I don’t want the bolt to open and I not know it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Remington Bolt Lock

If the bolt in your gun has the cutout for it, its as simple as replacing the factory trigger with the original REM/Walker style trigger that has the correct safety lever on it. If your bolt doesn't have the cutout you will have to find a gunsmith that would be willing to add it for you.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the response but I need a little more clarification on where is this cutout located and where can I get a trigger…Thanks Allen
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

This might be an option for you. This was just a quick Google. I'm sure they make different types.

REMINGTON 700 THREE-POSITION SAFETY SHROUD | Brownells
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

The cutout is located on the underside of the bolt handle where the handle meets the bolt body its about a 1/2" long. As far a trigger goes REM no long makes it so you will have watch the for sale section for old REM triggers or post a wanted ad. They are out there and come up for sale from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al308 View Post
Thanks for the response but I need a little more clarification on where is this cutout located and where can I get a trigger…Thanks Allen
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

You don't need the whole trigger, just the safety. There was somebody on here just a few days ago wanting to go the opposite way. He was talkinh about chopping off the tang on his safety. Maybe you can contact him and make a trade.

Remington safety question
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Bronze Member

Nimrodmar10 is correst you actually only need the safety lever. This will only be the case if you rifle is equipped with the old REM/walker style trigger, if your rifle has the xmark or xmark pro triggers you will need the whole trigger as the safeties are not compatible.