Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

remington 700 barrel not align with channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM

remington 700 barrel not align with channel

lookin for a little help,i bought a laminated thumhole stock for my remmy and not being the best hand at gunsmithing(more being afraid of botching things up)sent it to my local riflesmith to pillar and bed in the action,
so here now lies the problem,the barrel is floating nicely but its not centered at the forend(it only needs to be moved not even a quater of an inch)
,is there any tips or tricks to getting it centered without sending it back as im up to my preverbials shooting foxes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: remington 700 barrel not align with channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243ackley View Post
lookin for a little help,i bought a laminated thumhole stock for my remmy and not being the best hand at gunsmithing(more being afraid of botching things up)sent it to my local riflesmith to pillar and bed in the action,
so here now lies the problem,the barrel is floating nicely but its not centered at the forend(it only needs to be moved not even a quater of an inch)
,is there any tips or tricks to getting it centered without sending it back as im up to my preverbials shooting foxes
Unfortunately you will have to remove some or all of the bedding (not the pillars unless
they are off) and re bed the action with a spacer under the barrel near the forend that will
give you the float that you want and center the rifle in the stock.

I use heat shrink on the action screws to center them so that they don't touch the pillars
after bedding thus preventing the screws from becoming recoil lugs. And the heat shrink trues the action vertically in the stock.( it is removed after bedding is complete).

I wish it had been better news but that's what I would recomend.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Re: remington 700 barrel not align with channel

Since its not centered now, I'd bet that your screws and or pillars are not centered properly. Your smith must have used the screws to locate the action when he did the bedding job which is not correct. Maybe he didnt releave the stock and its inletted poorly. Whatever the reason, you need to find a better gunsmith and have it rebedded. A 1/4 is a bunch! I'd do it if you were close. If you want to try it, let me know and I'll walk you thru the right way to do it.

CN Precision