Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Remington 700 aftermarket trigger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Remington 700 aftermarket trigger?

I have a remington sendaro in 300 rum,Ive adjusted the trigger to a lighter pull but its still about 4 lbs,when i go lighter yet the trigger doesn't work at all, it seem to shoot good, but when i squeeze the trigger while shooting,my cross hairs move up the target and i don't like that,so i wana put an aftermarket on it.Somthing that will adjust down and one that i can install here at home. Any suggestion thinking about a timney.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Remington 700 aftermarket trigger?

Break down, spend the money, buy a Jewell and never look back. You won't regret it.
Dave

GreatScottShooters.com - Supplying the finest accessories available for rifle shooting.

Larry has great prices and keeps most Jewell's in stock
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

I was in a similar predicament when adjusting the one on my Sendero, and then mine broke. I looked at Timney, Jewell and others, and also did a lot of Googling.

In the end I sent mine to Dave Tooley who worked his magic on it. I absolutely love it - it's the best trigger I own, bar none. So, I would highly recommend considering getting a trigger job done on your factory trigger. Not only will you like it but it also costs half what a replacement trigger would cost.

Just sent my business partner's Rem 700 trigger to him and received it back on Saturday. That will get reinstalled once I bed the action.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

The Jewell is a little pricey, but I like the way it works. However, it takes up more room than the factory trigger, and you have to open the trigger well for it.

Dr. Vette's endorsement of Dave Tooley's trigger work would certainly be worth doing.

Also, if you search for "Remington trigger adjustment" you should come up with a procedure by Paul "Pablito" Coburn to adjust the older triggers. I've used it, and it works good. Not as good as a Jewell, but I think as good as a Timney.

I've never messed with the new Rem triggers, so no idea what to do with them.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

For factory Remington triggers, remember that each of the "incidents" that happened with the MSNBC bashing of Remington were when people adjusted their factory trigger. A professional gunsmith that knows triggers can do a great job and get satisfactory results with a factory trigger.

A Jewell trigger is great if you want the same trigger to go from a few ounces for benchrest or varmint hunting to a few pounds. Other than that, there are better options. A properly adjusted Shilen, Timney, Rifle Basix, etc. will give you a great hunting weight trigger and cost half of the Jewell. A professionally re-worked factory trigger will also work fine and cost less than the Shilen/Timney/Rifle Basix.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

If it is a pre xmark I would do a trigger job using the instructions suggested above. If I had to have an aftermarket I would get a Shilen. Timney 510 gets good reviews for toughness but is considerably wider and requires work on the trigger job.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

PS - I had tried the adjustments as referenced above, and that appears to be when my trigger broke. I'm not saying that it did or did not happen due to the adjustments, but it worked before and didn't after.

And, on inspection, Dave had no idea why my trigger broke (it was the connector piece).

Here is my original thread:
Remington Sendero trigger adjustment problem