Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rem 700 trigger tuning ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Gold Member

Rem 700 trigger tuning ?

Hey guys,

Just got my new rifle that has the std rem 700 trigger off the sf 1 sendero that Shawn Carlock has tuned up.

I am used to shooting a vanguard trigger that broke at 1lb 12oz. The new trigger breaks at 3lb 3 oz and I cant get it any lower without the rifle having cocking problems.

Is it possible to get this trigger down to 2lbs ?? A local smith said he could put a lighter spring in it ??

What are your thoughts ? They are a totally different feel than the soft break of the weatherby. Its more of a hard snap ?

If we cant get it down any more, what would be the best value for money trigger that would handle the 1-2lbs range ??

Cheers

DUH
Old 12-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Bronze Member

Yea they can be lightened by putting another spring in it, or buy another trigger from Jewell or Rifle Basics. Spring would be cheaper.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

If I were you, I'd really consider just getting the Jewell Rem 700 trig with safety. Come set at 1lb with no creep-just about perfect. Full SS construction--don't have to worry about corrosion as much. Much more reliable safety mech., in my opinion than any of the other aftermarket Rem 700 trigs that I'm aware of. It's money well spent. I've been through what you're going through and then onto a Timney and then and RB and finally the Jewell--would've been much better off just to get the Jewell to begin with. Good luck and make sure and keep us posted on how that beast shoots! She shore is purty!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Gold Member

I took the rifle out to the 100 m range today and got 28 rounds out there to break in the barrel. I dont think I have ever used so many patches in my life ! Almost ran out!!

Very rough blustery conditions with 15 -20 cross swirling winds, so groups were never the priority. When things did back off a little it shot a couple of 3 shot groups in .3 - .4 range ? Still in a gusty breeze around 8-10 mph. Not too bad to start with.

I tried the trigger and after around 20 shots of feeling like it was never going to break I kinda got used to it ? Not to bad. I'll try and shoot some long stuff in a couple of days and really test it over the bipod.

The rifle was certainly very comfortable to shoot.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
SPONSOR

+1 on the Jewell HVR... I own two. One at 28 ozs and one at 2 lbs.

great trigger to install and adjust to your liking.

sm
Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Gold Member

Jewell

Hi fit a Jewell Geoff has them in stock and also has a seccond hand Shillen that is like new.

Give me a call if you need any info.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
Hi fit a Jewell Geoff has them in stock and also has a seccond hand Shillen that is like new.

Give me a call if you need any info.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Bill,

Having never used a match grade trigger, how much improvement would you expect in shootability at 1000 m vs what I have now ? Would you expect groups at this range to improve greatly with a high grade trigger ? Send me a pm with what they cost and which version you recommend.

Cheers

DUH