Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rem 700 Switch Barrel Configuration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Rem 700 Switch Barrel Configuration

I have a Sendero 25-06 that I want to configure into a switch barrel Rilfe. I want to be able to put on 338 RUM or EDGE barrel for elk hunting and then configure back to 25-06 or 6.5-06 for the rest of the year. I'll get the action blueprinted and will also get a bolt to match the RUM brass. The only problem I see is the feed ralis are just a little too tight to allow the RUM brass to be pushed down into the mag. It looks to me they need to be lapped back about .010" or so. Is this possible and would it screw up the .06 case feeding?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rem 700 Switch Barrel Configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I have a Sendero 25-06 that I want to configure into a switch barrel Rilfe. I want to be able to put on 338 RUM or EDGE barrel for elk hunting and then configure back to 25-06 or 6.5-06 for the rest of the year. I'll get the action blueprinted and will also get a bolt to match the RUM brass. The only problem I see is the feed ralis are just a little too tight to allow the RUM brass to be pushed down into the mag. It looks to me they need to be lapped back about .010" or so. Is this possible and would it screw up the .06 case feeding?

Thanks,

Mark
If you switch to a center feed mag box for each you can open the rails and then adjust
one center feed box for each round.

The flat bullet follower should be used but it does not have to be changed out each time
you convert from one caliber to the other.

I prefer the center feed because of less marking of the brass and bullets, Plus it is easy
to bend/tune the mag box to make it feed better.

Just another way to skin a cat.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
If you switch to a center feed mag box for each you can open the rails and then adjust
one center feed box for each round.

The flat bullet follower should be used but it does not have to be changed out each time
you convert from one caliber to the other.

I prefer the center feed because of less marking of the brass and bullets, Plus it is easy
to bend/tune the mag box to make it feed better.

Just another way to skin a cat.

J E CUSTOM
JE, that's a great suggestion and probably the best solution, but I'm on a budget and want to keep costs to a minimum. If it needs to be, then I'll do it.

Having siad, I've taken some 25-06 cases and loaded them down into the mag of the RUM action and they seem to work fine in it. The rails hold them down well and they feed good. Am I missing something or could I just have the ralis opened up to the RUM specs?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Bolt

Nevermind
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

If you get the action blueprinted to include single point cutting of the threads to a slightly larger dia your factory barrel will not fit or at least not fit as well. As mentioned you will have one .473 case head round and one .532 round so you need another bolt. It would probably be a good idea to get the 25 barrel refit to work with a larger recoil lug that would want to use with the 338 barrel so the bedding job would work a little better for both barrels.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
If you get the action blueprinted to include single point cutting of the threads to a slightly larger dia your factory barrel will not fit or at least not fit as well. As mentioned you will have one .473 case head round and one .532 round so you need another bolt. It would probably be a good idea to get the 25 barrel refit to work with a larger recoil lug that would want to use with the 338 barrel so the bedding job would work a little better for both barrels.
Good point, I hadn't even though about that. I'll probably just put off the work on the 300 RUM until the barrel is gone or I'm ready to upgrade.

Thanks,

Mark