Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Rem 700 mis-drilled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Gold Member

Rem 700 mis-drilled

I have a LH Rem 700 VS that came from the factory with the scope mount screws slightly mis-drilled. I compensated for that when it was new by using standard 2-piece Leupold mounts that permitted windage adjustment on the rear scope mount.

I would like to put a Picattinny Rail setup on the rifle, but need to correct the alignment of the holes for the scope mount.

Is there an economical way to fix this?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Rem 700 mis-drilled

The best fix for this problem would be having a Holland Perfect Picatinny Rail installed. Here's a link describing how it works, just scroll down to the Holland Picatinny Rail heading. Picatinny Rail
e-mail me for information on having one installed.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Here's my "best way."

You clamp the action down in a mill vice, the action gets clocked off the raceways and I indicate down the side of a mandrel to ensure the action's bore center is pointed parallel with the X axis.

I then bore my holes to the correct location and punch out to 8-40. Now I KNOW the rail will be pointing "down the pipe".

Chasing the holes with a drill will only make the same problem all over again as the drill will want to follow what is already there.

Lots of ways to skin cats but I personally feel this method is the best because it resolves the problem at its source.

All the best,

Chad
Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Send it back to remington with a letter of disgust and disappointment in how this could slip past their quality control
mike
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Gold Member

No way am I going to send this rifle back to Remington in disgust. Right out of the box, it shot Black Hills 175 gr Match Moly into .3" groups at 100 yards. It has shot sub 1" groups at 300 yards with Hornady Light Magnum loads. I have kept this rifle for over ten years because of its phenomenal performance.

The mis-drill issue is more of an inconvenience than anything. Now that I know that it is a fairly simple matter to correct, I will be looking for a decent gunsmith/machinist to do the work.

I own two LH Remington 700's of 1990's manufacture and I am very happy with both of them.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Kevin and Chads solutions two the problem are good ones but FIRST you need to know the exact cause of the problem.

It could very well be that the holes are drilled off center.

You could have a reciever that when polished at the factory has the rear reciever ring cant to the right and rear.(very common on polished blue and polish SS recievers) (this problem cants the back ring to the right causing the scope to point left of center with windage zeroed.)

Or your barrel shoulder to action joint is a little cocked out of square with the bolt race way.(barrel shoulder, recoil lug, reciever face, issue)( or barrel bore curve)

Each of these problems has a multiple different solution so it is a must to find the problem before working on the thing.

The very easiest solution may be Kevins suggestion, or Burris sig. zee rings with inserts set to remove the error.

The best solution for long term would be Chads if in fact the holes are out of alignment.

If the reciever tails off on the right rear reciever ring, and the holes are straight you can shim and epoxy bed the rail stress free to remove the error.

If it's the joint or barrel bore curve, and you don't want to pull it apart to correct then go back to Kevins suggestion or the burris sig. zee rings with inserts.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

The rifle is a VS with a matte finish, so I think the problem is unlikely to have been caused by polishing at the factory.

If there were some kind of barrel to receiver mis-alignment, wouldn't I have some accuracy issues as well? This rifle is consistently accurate across a pretty broad range of factory loads and bullet weights.

Still, you are astute in observing that I have assumed that the problem is the result of the scope mount holes being misaligned. How can I determine whether or not the mount holes are straight?

I can still mount and boresight a scope using standard Leupold 2pc bases and rings, so I don't see much use in switching to Burris rings. I am only interested in correcting the misalignment because I would like to go with a Picatinny rail type mount, which would afford me with a quick-detach option for my scope.