Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Reloading Accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading Accident

I'm sure this happens more than we realize. IMO I wouldn't call this guy a moron from what I can discern from reading the post. I'm not even sure what happened other than it sounds like it was on the verge of being bad.

I didn't know a soul who reloaded when I started. I had no one to help and the only people I could bounce question off of were the folks on here and other sites. I read a ton and started slow. If something would have happened I would have to put the burden on my shoulders.

Bottom line. If he is humble and has a good excuse then he might be trainable. If he is arrogant and an obvious idiot by saying "180vld is 14g heavier than 168 so I added 14 more grains of powder " then run
Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=
Bottom line. If he is humble and has a good excuse then he might be trainable. If he is arrogant and an obvious idiot by saying "180vld is 14g heavier than 168 so I added 14 more grains of powder " then run[/QUOTE]

I know this is a serious thread and have commented earlier but when I read this from Limbicís post I just started laughing. Would someone actually do that? Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Can't ever underestimate stupidity.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

YOU CANT HELP STUPID ! I would tell him to take a friend to the range with a cell phone that has 911 on speed dial... I had a buddy that wanted to reload his own ammo he pulled pretty much the same stuff ... he got impatient an went an reloaded some 357's with the wrong powder an they went boom but ended up cracking the cylinder on the second shot an it jammed , He called me and wanted to know what to do....
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 PM

OK. I just have to share this story. I drive 300 miles to down east Maine to hunt, and was scouting a few weeks ago and met a gun smith who just opened shop there. Real nice guy relocated from NC.

So as best I can recall, a guy comes into his shop and says his gun isn't ejecting right. Now I didn't ask if it was a pistol or rifle. But the owner failed to mention to the smith he had recently started reloading himself. So the smith gets hold of the gun and eventually test fires it with provided ammo. firs shell ejects but he can't locate it. So he fires another, and either the bolt or the slide blows apart and all but severs his thumb completely off.

He decides he won't stay conscious to drive to the hospital so calls a buddy for a ride, and the guy asks why on the phone. He says "I blew my thumb off" and his buddy says "I'll be there in a while." Evidently he thought the smithy was kidding. While waiting for his ride he got bored and took a picture of his thumb.

So a few days later he's all stitched back together and has a cast on his hand all the way to the elbow, and decides to do some light duty work. So he's grinding a small part on the bench grinder holding it in an extremely awkward position, and smells something burning. Investigating, he finds the sparks lit his cast on fire. Which he promptly tore apart to get it off his arm.

I don't care who ya are. THAT'S funny!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like he tried to load some subsonics that did not work out. Probably an internet recipe Your friend should only expect help on your terms.

Your health should be your main concern right now....I am in the same boat. Try to keep busy and keep your spirits up. Right now I am taking a blood thinner that causes every joint in my body hurt like hell. I cannot stop taking them and refuse to take any more pain meds. I just do what I can and try to keep going. Prayer helps and you have mine.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
Sounds like he tried to load some subsonics that did not work out. Probably an internet recipe Your friend should only expect help on your terms.

Your health should be your main concern right now....I am in the same boat. Try to keep busy and keep your spirits up. Right now I am taking a blood thinner that causes every joint in my body hurt like hell. I cannot stop taking them and refuse to take any more pain meds. I just do what I can and try to keep going. Prayer helps and you have mine.

medicinal weed