Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

recommend remington clone action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 AM

recommend remington clone action

I would appreciate input from members as to which Remington clone action they would recommend and why. I have an ABS 308 barrel en route to a competent gunsmith and would like to replace the action with an already trued up one like: Kelby Atlas, Defiance, Stiller, Lawton, Borden, Surgeon etc. It will have HS Precision stock and DBM. I don't see major differences in advertized cost but price and availability are concerns. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: recommend remington clone action

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrshooter View Post
I would appreciate input from members as to which Remington clone action they would recommend and why. I have an ABS 308 barrel en route to a competent gunsmith and would like to replace the action with an already trued up one like: Kelby Atlas, Defiance, Stiller, Lawton, Borden, Surgeon etc. It will have HS Precision stock and DBM. I don't see major differences in advertized cost but price and availability are concerns. Thanks in advance.
Mr. Borden uses nothing but Farleys last time I heard, and he's a legend in his own time.
gary
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

I've always been a huge fan of Glen Harrison's actions and if I were in your situation it would be a Defiance.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Defiance are definitely good.

Stillers actions are good also.

Dave Tooley has one of the best clones for the money right now IMO.
it is built by Stiller to Daves specs. take a look here.

Tooley Orion action pics as requested.

BH
Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Defiance good.

One piece bolt, EDM'd raceways, the equipment used to manufacture them is top notch, and you have a wide variety of options available.

Borden also good.

I've built a lot of rifles on custom actions. Jim's receivers are top shelf and you can't go wrong here either.

Nesika. A name now seemingly long forgotten. I just received one two days ago from them. (down the street from my new shop) From the cursory inspection its back to the quality level that made them one of the most sought after custom actions in the world. It looks very, very nice. I can't wait to start on this build in fact as they will always have hold a special place with me.

Bottom line is in today's world with the internet and level of instant communication an action manufacturer can't afford to put out junk. They are all good. Just a matter of what suites your taste.

Good luck.

C.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went to my gunsmiths shop today and saw my new ABS barrell and it looks nice. I think he is going to use a Stiller TAC 30 action. He had numerous others to see and truly they all looked nice. I liked the integral recoil lug and scope rail of the Surgeon.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

I have not owned enough different customs to comment on many. But I will say that my Defiance Machine is a very nice action and the rifle shoots extremely well. I was able to get it the way I wanted with the fluted one piece bolt and extendd tennon. Their delivery time was spot on and quick. The customer support was also impecable.

Jeff