Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Recoil pads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

Recoil pads

I want to replace the recoil pad on my Savage .300 Win Mag . Who makes the best recoil reducing pad out there. I have a .30-06 that has a recoil pad that is an
1 1/4" thick , this is one of the best I have felt but I cant find a name on it . I have used a couple of grind to fit so I have no problems installing my own pads . Show me some of yours and give me some info on thickness and recoil absorbing qualities ! Thanks Kirk
Old 07-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Recoil pads

I have found the very best instrument for reducing recoil is a muzzle brake! Short of a brake I have also found the thicker the recoil pad, the more the rifle gets a run at me and I'm far more likely to get scoped. When shooting heavy kickers you will see me open my jacket and put the butt stock on my t-shirt. This way I move with it rather than have anything compressable to allow the rifle to build momentum. I know it all sounds wierd but it works for me.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbowhntr View Post
I want to replace the recoil pad on my Savage .300 Win Mag . Who makes the best recoil reducing pad out there. I have a .30-06 that has a recoil pad that is an
1 1/4" thick , this is one of the best I have felt but I cant find a name on it . I have used a couple of grind to fit so I have no problems installing my own pads . Show me some of yours and give me some info on thickness and recoil absorbing qualities ! Thanks Kirk
Pachmeyer has everything in the way of pads you can think of
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Limbsaver pads work pretty well but I use Kickeeze on the trap n sporting clays guns.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

+1 for kickeez but watch out with solvents and other things that could potentially damage it. The paint from a shop concrete floor marred mine.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112Savage View Post
+1 for kickeez but watch out with solvents and other things that could potentially damage it. The paint from a shop concrete floor marred mine.

+1 for Limbsaver on my 338WM and my SBE. The SBE will pick up anything that you sit it on with butt down......dirt, leaves, sticks, grass whatever. Think I got some cleaning chems on it back in 1998. The 338 Limbsaver is so good I don't use a brake on T-3 6.6lb.

Don't ever put it up for long times with butt on floor or it may crush it??????
Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

I've gone through a bunch of recoil pads.

All things came together when I installed a Limbsaver grind to fit, fitting the the stock junction while not touching the butt end.

Limbsaver's construction and increase surface are makes the 338 RUM Rem sporter a dream to shoot.

The grind to fit leaving as much surface area on the rear is my whole hearted recommendation.

Be cautious of the bottom. If not done properly it will snag loose clothing or a shirt pocket. (My experience)