Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: reamers

I have ran into this. I picked the caliber and mods., I ordered, and paid with my card for the reamer. The smith called the reamer grinder to check dimensions. At this point I am waiting for my reamer to show up. After a while I make a few calls and find the smith had them send it to him directly. No problem so far. He uses it for other builds than mine, my build goes late on completion time. When I pick up the rifle the smith bristles up when I ask for my reamer. It's like there is some unwritten rule that some smiths feel they should own the reamers. Haven't been back.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

I have not used this smith I have talked to him about rebuilding a rifle for me when he shoed me his work and the work he did was the TITON. I have no interest in building one if those at all. If he does have written permission one would hope he would be willing to show the proof to back up his integrity and his business. I asked the question about thee reamers cause I wasn't sure how that all works now that I know.
There are 2-3 other builders in my area if I decide to keep it local. Couple red flags keep me wondering. Thanks guys for the info
Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

I can't speak to the 8.59 Titan, but I had no problem ordering a new 7.82 Warbird reamer from PT&G. My original tube finally went south so I needed to rebarrel.
As far as your situation, ask your smith. As long as it is something I can see using again I will usually shoulder the majority of the cost and keep it. If it isn't something I will use, then I expect the customer to pay for and keep it.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe John Lazzeroni has relaxed his hold on those calibers. I hope so. Maybe he will post his current position.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

guys ,,,,,,

you can get a Lazzeroni spec reamer for any of our cartridges from JGS Precision tool in Oregon ,,,,,,

they are good folks and will treat you right ,,,,,,

they have been supplying Lazzeroni spec reamers for our various chambering's since 1996 ,,,,,,
Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Answered that question and removed that issue from red flag list I had. Thanks for the reply did not think my original question would go this far it had been real informative
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

excellent thread!